Thread: Sleep Class page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Sleep Class

Primal Fuel
    I was afraid this would be just a rehash of the information Mark has already given us. But no, and it was great.

The class was held at the Kaiser Fontana Medical Offices; what a beautiful facility that is. It seems that increaslingly over the last 10 years data has shown that the amount and quality of sleep is one of the most important factors in good health. There are more car accidents caused by sleeping drivers than by alcohol, cell phone distraction, etc., combined. Long-haul drivers insured by Kaiser are required to sleep with CPAP masks into which must be inserted a card, nightly, which registers the numbers of hours the mask is worn.

The most prominent Sleep Doctor was in New York but is now moving to Kaiser Fontana to oversee and greatly increase their services (and buildings) devoted to sleep science. Kaiser is the only 5-star Hospital in California, this year.

Much of what Mark has taught us was included in the 2.5 hour class, but almost as much more has been added. Armed with this information, the 1 night future use of a CPAP, and continual access to the instructor, I am 'guareenteed' good, healthy, natural sleep in the future with no perscriptions or other aids.

It turns out that everyone has sleep apnea, ceasing breating 6 - 12 times a minute is normal, 100 to 120 times a minute is not. For those over 50, melatonin production decreases significantly and supplementing with 3 mg Melatonin 2 hours before sleep is recommended. (For many paleos cortisol increases, at any age. I'll ask her later about taking DHEA to reduce Cortisol.)

The body must be cool to induce sleep, internally cool. Therefore do not eat 4 hours before sleeping. Hot showers or baths can help cool you.

I can't cover everything here, nor might you wish to read it. The result for me was that I now think it is reasonable to expect that in the future I will be able to achieve natural sleep.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Was there any mention of things like exercise or caffeine use during the day? Also there is no link?

No, there's no link. This was a class given on site at an HMO. You have to be a member to access their site. However exercise and caffeine were mentioned. Don't eat or drink caffeine and do not exercise after 4m. Period. It will take that long before sleep (at 10m) for your body to process or recover from the effects. Therefore, don't eat chocolate after 4m. (Rats)

There were several complaints from the class members about the 'no exercise after 4pm rule', but the teacher did not relent.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

wiltondeportes Guest
    I call BS on everyone having sleep apnea. The problem is likely structural. If your skull doesn't fully develop, your airways will be too small. If your airways are too small, you will have difficulty breathing, especially out of your nose. When have to breath off of instincts (during sleep), your body wants to use the nose. The body has difficulty, so you have sleep apnea.

I see you're no spring chicken, but maybe still look into Orthotropics. They widen the mouth palate, which can then send signals for everything else to widen. I've seen evidence that airway width has nearly doubled for some patients.

Think back to Weston A Price's studies. Remember how wide the remote tribes' dental arches were? Very wide airways, and I'd bet no sleep apnea either.

The apnea is caused by the relaxation of the tongue and the roof of the mouth, which close the airway. It is easily handled by the CPAP or other gadgets they provide to wear during sleep.

Orthotropics Vs. Orthodontics - Dr John Mew on Dispatches - Part 1 - YouTube This is interesting. I hadn't heard of Orthotropics before. I did have extractions and braces as a young teenager. Orthotropics might have been better. But I don't have clincal sleep apnea so it's not a problem for me. I was just surprised to learn that everyone had some light sleep apnea (sub-clinical).

Yes, I've been interested in Price's studies on paleo teeth, jaw, and brow (distance between the eyes) studies. Nowadays, I look for those differences.

Most people, when they are grown, and unless they have a problem much more difficult and expensive to cure, would, I think, prefer a cheaper and quicker method.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    The apnea is caused by the relaxation of the tongue and the roof of the mouth, which close the airway. It is easily handled by the CPAP or other gadgets they provide to wear during sleep.

Orthotropics Vs. Orthodontics - Dr John Mew on Dispatches - Part 1 - YouTube This is interesting. I hadn't heard of Orthotropics before. I did have extractions and braces as a young teenager. Orthotropics might have been better. But I don't have clincal sleep apnea so it's not a problem for me. I was just surprised to learn that everyone had some light sleep apnea (sub-clinical).

Yes, I've been interested in Price's studies on paleo teeth, jaw, and brow (distance between the eyes) studies. Nowadays, I look for those differences.

Most people, when they are grown, and unless they have a problem much more difficult and expensive to cure, would, I think, prefer a cheaper and quicker method.
    Ah, and why does the tongue relax and leave the roof of the mouth? The palate is not large enough to correctly fit the tongue. In a correctly developed mouth, the tongue pushes up on the palate and sideways to keep the teeth out of the way. A "tongue thrust" is seen in smaller mouths where the tongue instead pushes forward. This can exhaust the tongue, and speech impediments and sleep apnea can result.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.