Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you made something that you could honestly eat every day? page

Have you made something that you could honestly eat every day?

Shop Now
    Without getting bored? I think we have. Our favorite thing to go out to eat for is fajitas. That can get expensive at various mexican restaurants, especially the "upper-scale" ones who think mexican food should be gourmet. It really shouldn't. But anyway, we normally will spend around $25.00-30.00 eating out if we go out for fajitas. Since going primal, our eating out has dropped by at least 90%. Mainly just because I don't know how it's really made, what went into it, and we're trying to stay on a budget while eating better. I discovered that I could buy an $8.00 bag of frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts (no, it's not organic, or range fed, but note I said I'm on a budget), $6.00 for 6 bell peppers from the farmers market, $1.00 for two onions (and here's the kicker) I add a head of sauteed cabbage, $2.50to the mix. I prepare the chicken in slices for fajitas, and cook up all the veggies and dump it all in together. This makes a HUGE amount of fajitas (without tortillas, of course) and when we just need something to wrap it in, we steam purple cabbage leaves, another head for $2.50. Not only is it healthy, but it's a gorgeous meal.
    This enormous amount of food served two of us ALL weekend. Two - three meals - morning was chicken fajita omelets! Lunch and dinner if we ate was just the chicken fajitas in purple cabbage leaves.

We spent $20.00 (no tip necessary) on the ingredients, and it made roughly 16 servings (really, no kidding!) which was 8 meals for the two of us! That's 1.25/serving. I'll be doing the same thing with beef of course, and even with shrimp or salmon. But I was just shocked at how far it went for the price...and how great it was - healthy and delicious.

Is there anything you love to make that you never tire of?
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    yeh i made this absolutely delicious turkish inspired dish.
    eggplant, chopped spinach, roasted tomatoes, onions, ground lamb, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, and a ton of parsley.
    dolloped some garlic greek yoghurt and a teensy bit of hotsauce on top. so so so good. i could eat that every day.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Can I ask what you used for spices for the fajitas?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm hungry now.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Cubed beef heart marinated 24 hours in a mix of white wine and olive oil with just a teensy splash of orange juice, sea salt and black pepper. Grilled or fried til it's still pink inside. One of the tastier lean(est) meats.

The pickled tongue was awesome too. Pickled in brine for a week, rinsed, brought to a boil then simmered for 5-6 hours. Peel the skin off, slice, eat cold with brown mustard and grated horseradish. Amazing amount of fat for such a muscular muscle -- nice contrast with the heart

ADD: And of course eggs, which I can (and do) definitely eat every day and never get bored of.
    Last edited by frogfarm; 05-24-2010 at 05:40 PM.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Things I could eat everyday:

eggs poached in spicy italian sausage tomato sauce

BLT salad with homemade bacon mayo based dressing (I eat a huge serving bowls worth)
    Smokey jalapeno chicken BAS
    Actually any of the BAS's I make I could eat every day! lol

Grilled shrimp smothered in chipotle garlic butter (I could eat this with every meal, or as every meal! lol)

Rare Prime Rib

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Ooh, Ooh!!!
    Deviled Eggs.
    This time I made them with some leftover Green Goddess dressing from yesterday.
    = Happy Tummy

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Things I could eat every day (looks like some of us have similar taste):

spicy italian sausage with peppers and onions and mushrooms, with spicy mustard
    deviled eggs
    a salad with avocado, bacon, and goat cheese
    FNW's artichoke dip (though it's so much dairy I'd never REALLY eat it every day)

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I could get tired of anything if I had it every day.

Well, except BACON.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Pork roast with herbs and spices + baked sweet potato with butter.... used to have that in the winter 3-4 times a week.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast