Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows my back workout?

Is this a sufficient back routine to counteract benching?

Shop Now
    I'm about 10 weeks into a 3x5 routine.

B - Deadlift, squat, press
    A - Bench and squat.

I ditched the Pendlay rows early on, about 4 weeks in because I didn't want my back to snap up.

Since then I've replaced them with dumbell rows on a bench and cable face-pulls with a rope.
    8-12 reps on the row and 10-15 with the face-pull for 3 -4 sets after benching. Is that enough?

I was thinking on adding in some kind of Yates row or bent over barbell row so I can use more weight but not sure?

Basically, is a pendlay row for strength, necessary to counter balance benching for strength?
    Last edited by Lockstock; 06-29-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Seems fine, but I tend to do a lot more back work than anything else. Keeps me more stable on everything, better posture, etc.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

On my pull day, I do deadlifts, pullups, chinups, and heavy db rows. I don't like pendlay rows at all. Occasionally I add in some shrugs and some pull aparts with a band.

I definitely think some sort of pullup is needed

Oh, no don't get me wrong I do pull-ups too...

So in total my push's are Bench and Overhead.

My pull's are Pull-up, DB row, Face pull and Deadlift. So, that is 2-1. I was definitely thinking on adding in bent over barbell row for about 8 reps x 3 sets but I'm not sure if I should add in a shrug like movement or both.

Guys end up imbalanced or with bad shoulders because they do all bench press, no overhead press and minimal chin ups. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post

My pull's are Pull-up, DB row, Face pull and Deadlift. So, that is 2-1. I was definitely thinking on adding in bent over barbell row for about 8 reps x 3 sets but I'm not sure if I should add in a shrug like movement or both.
    2:1 I sounds good. My problem with bb rows was that when they got really heavy, It put my lower back in a compromised position that I wasn't comfortable with. That's why I only do 1 arm db rows now

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post

2-1 is good for counteracting the overall forward lean and anterior posture of our culture. Chiro approved

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    2:1 I sounds good. My problem with bb rows was that when they got really heavy, It put my lower back in a compromised position that I wasn't comfortable with. That's why I only do 1 arm db rows now

Yeah same here. That was the Pendlay row. I was thinking that more body builder esque one where you kind of half bend. Like a Yates row. Same muscles essentially, just less bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    2-1 is good for counteracting the overall forward lean and anterior posture of our culture. Chiro approved
    Cheers Neckhammer!

Shop Now
    I love pen rows, they allow me to go really heavy, what do you mean snap up? I like them because of the strictness and mental focus they require to stay flat and make sure you pull tight at the top. I do them with 185 pounds and my back has gotten bigger and after 3 weeks of not doing any pull ups, I can do more than I ever could. But I also now do Pen rows for a heavy 5, pull ups, Kroc rows ( high reps all out set of heavy rows) and thats about it