Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows my back workout? page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Is this a sufficient back routine to counteract benching?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm about 10 weeks into a 3x5 routine.

B - Deadlift, squat, press
    A - Bench and squat.

I ditched the Pendlay rows early on, about 4 weeks in because I didn't want my back to snap up.

Since then I've replaced them with dumbell rows on a bench and cable face-pulls with a rope.
    8-12 reps on the row and 10-15 with the face-pull for 3 -4 sets after benching. Is that enough?

I was thinking on adding in some kind of Yates row or bent over barbell row so I can use more weight but not sure?

Basically, is a pendlay row for strength, necessary to counter balance benching for strength?
    Last edited by Lockstock; 06-29-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Seems fine, but I tend to do a lot more back work than anything else. Keeps me more stable on everything, better posture, etc.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    On my pull day, I do deadlifts, pullups, chinups, and heavy db rows. I don't like pendlay rows at all. Occasionally I add in some shrugs and some pull aparts with a band.

I definitely think some sort of pullup is needed
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Oh, no don't get me wrong I do pull-ups too...

So in total my push's are Bench and Overhead.

My pull's are Pull-up, DB row, Face pull and Deadlift. So, that is 2-1. I was definitely thinking on adding in bent over barbell row for about 8 reps x 3 sets but I'm not sure if I should add in a shrug like movement or both.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Guys end up imbalanced or with bad shoulders because they do all bench press, no overhead press and minimal chin ups. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post

My pull's are Pull-up, DB row, Face pull and Deadlift. So, that is 2-1. I was definitely thinking on adding in bent over barbell row for about 8 reps x 3 sets but I'm not sure if I should add in a shrug like movement or both.
    2:1 I sounds good. My problem with bb rows was that when they got really heavy, It put my lower back in a compromised position that I wasn't comfortable with. That's why I only do 1 arm db rows now
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post

2-1 is good for counteracting the overall forward lean and anterior posture of our culture. Chiro approved

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    2:1 I sounds good. My problem with bb rows was that when they got really heavy, It put my lower back in a compromised position that I wasn't comfortable with. That's why I only do 1 arm db rows now

Yeah same here. That was the Pendlay row. I was thinking that more body builder esque one where you kind of half bend. Like a Yates row. Same muscles essentially, just less bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    2-1 is good for counteracting the overall forward lean and anterior posture of our culture. Chiro approved
    Cheers Neckhammer!

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I love pen rows, they allow me to go really heavy, what do you mean snap up? I like them because of the strictness and mental focus they require to stay flat and make sure you pull tight at the top. I do them with 185 pounds and my back has gotten bigger and after 3 weeks of not doing any pull ups, I can do more than I ever could. But I also now do Pen rows for a heavy 5, pull ups, Kroc rows ( high reps all out set of heavy rows) and thats about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast