Thread: Seed oils. What is the story? page

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member

Seed oils. What is the story?

I have been seeing a lot of guff being put onto eating seed oils, such as sunflower oil, peanut oil, etc.

So this is what I want to know....what oils are considered okay to use and WHY? Is it all auto-immune issues, or also fattening?

Currently it is ghee on pretty much everything for its smoking temp. With that said, a lot of restuarants are moving to peanut oil, veg oil, sunflower, etc. What's the story on this? Thanks all.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Use fats high in saturated fat, and low in poly-unsaturated fat. Coconut oil is probably the best, followed by good sources (grass fed) of butter and animal fat. Olive oil works too since its mono-unsaturated, but saturated fats are better and more stable.

Stay away from canola, corn, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower, grape-seed, peanut, etc. They are unnatural and rancid!

mike is offline Senior Member
    I think most consider them bad because of one or more of the following:

a) the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is very high (i.e. lots of omega 6 fatty acids)

b) they are highly manufactured. They are extracted using organic solvents.

c) they are made from bird seed.

I avoid cooking with them mostly because of b) but also a) (although for reason a) I would like to find some information on fatty acid profiles that doesn't come from paleo blogs)

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I cook with 100% macadamia nut oil. It has a higher oxidizing temperature.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    "Oiling of America" on youtube covers a lot of it.

The best plant oils are from equatorial trees and unrefined/virgin (coconut, palm kernel, macadamia, olive, avocado).
    Last edited by picklepete; 06-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I figure the less processed the better. We've been cooking with home rendered lard from pigs hubby raised w/o gmo corn, fed on lots of veggies,acorns, walnuts and avocados. I occasionally use olive oil and sesame seed oil but I don't cook with them.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm packing up and moving to Urban Forager's house. I'll even bring a window air conditioner. Seriously UF, I admire how you walk the primal walk.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks Joanie, we'd be happy to have you and your AC, tomorrow it's supposed to be 95. Today the weather forecast said 88 and it was 94 so I'm dreading tomorrow.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We use lard rendered from organic pig fat for almost all cooking, except when cooking fish, when I use butter. Our local organic butcher gives me pounds of fat free - it is ace!

Occasionally I use either coconut oil or red palm oil when I am cooking curries. And organic olive oil for dressing salads.