Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trip meals page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

Road trip meals

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Two weeks of traveling around by car--

We would like to minimize eating in restaurants, and for the most part probably won't be able to find hotels with kitchenettes, so no fridge and no cooking either.

What are your ideas - plain and creative - for good meals (not just snacks!) on the go?

Since we won't be able to/want to avoid restaurants 100%, tips for eating healthily at them would be useful, too.

Thanks!

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Buy a bag of ice and cooler.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Buy a cooler but get your ice free at the hotel. Bring a small cooking device of your choice with you to fix a meal before you leave in the morning or after you get to your next destination. Pack canned fish.

You can get a hot plate for $20.00.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Also grocery stores with salad bars.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I did a road trip on the cheap a couple of years ago and the cooler was one of the smartest things I did. I stocked up on all kinds of yummies from Market of Choice and ate like a queen on beautiful cheeses and prosciuto, etc., while I was on the road. Motel 6s (which had a really nasty reputation when I was young) are now family friendly and every one I stayed in had a fridge, microwave, and all but one had free internet (that one charged a whopping $2.75); a few had pools. I also brought my own coffeemaker (didn't need it too often) and my own coffee because even with the general public moving toward better coffee, I hate getting stuck having to drink "lobby" coffee or the nasty generic coffee they have next to the coffeemaker in the room.

I wasn't primal at the time, so I ordered pizzas when I was in need of a hot meal (odd to think of it now). But for restaurants, I think I'd stay away from chains as much as possible. Ask the concierge or front desk person - they usually know good stuff. Then do the best you can. Depending on the trendiness of a given area, you might even be able to find places that serve grass fed meats. If not, stick to lean cuts of animal and some local fish. Depending on your budget, you may or may not be able to be perfectly primal on the road. Don't sweat it, do the best you can, and enjoy the scenery!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Canned fish is a good idea, and if we can find any grocery market salad bars that would be nice, too. Thanks!

RE: Small cooking device of choice / hot plate -- I've heard of such things, but don't even know what they look like, much less how to use them. There's just not enough info here yet for me to wrap my head around--sorry! I don't want to haul a bunch of cookware and tableware with, and I don't think the way I cook at home is going to work with such a scaled back operation. I need a remedial class or primer on this, I guess!

Maybe I need to be asking for meal/recipe suggestions...?

RE: Cooler and ice -- How do you keep the melting ice from getting everything wet and soggy? Ziplocks and plastic bags all seem to leak...

I think mini-fridges and microwaves are becoming more common, but I don't want to rely on that. Though it would be nice to bring our own coffee, we make a special cold soak and I will not drink anything else. Was planning to make do with some teas.

Amazon has hot plates. As for using a cooler and ice, there are coolers you can plug into your cigarette lighter adapter if you don't to use ziplock bags and deal with melting ice.

mike is offline Senior Member
    go camping instead and cook over fire.

Have lunch in a public park with grills and cook enough for dinner and breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Amazon has hot plates. As for using a cooler and ice, there are coolers you can plug into your cigarette lighter adapter if you don't to use ziplock bags and deal with melting ice.
    I didn't even know this was possible, interesting. But we won't be doing it. I'd rather hear how people keep things from getting wet and soggy. Put everything in plastic containers? Even eggs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast