Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip meals page 2

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    go camping instead and cook over fire.

Have lunch in a public park with grills and cook enough for dinner and breakfast.
    I can only assume you're joking or worse.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I have a tabletop burner. I brought it home from my sojourn in Japan, for making yosenabe in the winter time. Yosenabe is not a good summer meal, and the pot is much to heavy to lug around, but I will check how well a kettle and frying pan sit on it.

It uses gas canisters. If I'm careful not to burn anything, it won't set off any fire alarms and sprinklers will it?

If you've done some similar, something in between hauling your own kitchen with you a la camping, and eating every meal out at restaurants, what are your tips for eating well while minimizing fuss'n'muss?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    minimizing fuss'n'muss?
    Since I'm the kind of person who can live for a long time on "cold cuts," I'd recommend them - especially if you can stock up on better quality ones. HB eggs. Veggies. Just as you can find small restaurants in almost any town, you can almost always find grocery stores. Be creative - if you see a sign for something like, "Boiled crawfish - $3/lb," on some stretch of road, change your plans for that night and pick some up.

You also asked about storage. Baggies/ziploc bags will leak if the ice melts too much. Plastic containers with screw-on lids work better. But your best bet is to make sure to empty the cooler and get new ice in it every night when you pull off the road to sleep. The only problem I had with food getting wet was the night I was so exhausted that I pretty much just fell into bed. Stuff was floating a bit the next morning.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

erin_noel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not really for a main dish, but you can cook sweet potatoes in a microwave (assuming the hotel provided one). They're easy to transport. Also not a main dish, but if you did have a microwave you could bring those "steamer" bags of frozen vegetables. Or cart along a small blender for smoothies.
    "Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them" -
    Albus Dumbledore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12