Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good binder for meatloaf (cracker replacement) page

Suldog is offline Junior Member

Good binder for meatloaf (cracker replacement)

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for something I can use in a meatloaf recipe in place of saltine crackers? My favorite meatloaf is a mix of beef and pork with onions, garlic, eggs and herbs - very simple and delicious. The trouble is it also calls for 1 cup + of crushed saltine crackers. i tried just leaving them out, but the texture was much too dense and I didn't care for it at all.

Any suggestions? I thought about using grated zucchini, dried a bit so that all the moisture is gone, but didn't know if that would just be a mess. What are some of the bread replacements that you guys use for meatloaf that actually result in a tender, good-textured meatloaf?

I appreciate any replies,
    Thanks,
    Jenn

For me, meatloaf and hamburgers are pretty much the same basic recipe. I just add an extra egg and omit the breadcrumbs or crackers completely. Pre-primal, I'd use oatmeal or even rice as the binder, but that doesn't even work now.

I don't mind the density, so it's not a problem for me or hubby.

Maybe the almond meal could help...just not sure how great it would taste.
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I find an extra egg does help with the denseness a bit, but if you need that cracker texture make some almond crackers and bash them up or food process them!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    You might try food-processing veggies like carrots and green peppers until they're very fine and using those instead of crackers. It's what I use, but I don't know if that would alter the taste too much for you.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    we had meatloaf last night! my very first actual beef (grassfed) meat loaf. i used to be a strict ground turkey only eater. my partner made it a lil spicy with some cayenne, paprika, and red pepper flakes. i believe i tasted oregano in there as well. she definitely didn't use any crackers, but i'm not sure if she added an extra egg or not. either way it was yummo. do ya'll also add worchestershire sauce?
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Drea is offline Junior Member
    I've always loved my mom's meatloaf recipe but it called for about 1 c. oatmeal for 2 lbs. of ground beef (plus egg, onion, salt, pepper, tomato juice). I made it last night, but I omitted the oatmeal and instead used 2 T. coconut flour and 2 T. ground flax seeds. I mixed it very well in the stand mixer. I was nervous that the texture would be wrong, but it turned out excellent. I actually couldn't tell a difference in the texture from using oatmeal.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I sub parm cheese and/or crushed pork rinds in my meatloaf.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I have tried almond meal, 1/4 cup almond meal and 1 egg per pound of ground meat. Seems to work well, especially with a lot of finely chopped veggies for flavor and moisture.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Second the vote for crushed pork rinds. They doesn't suck up moisture as readily as more starchy fillers, but they do the job.

"How do you sop up the grease?" "With a spoon."

Suldog is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys! I'll try the finely textured veggies and add an egg. I even thought about coconut flakes, but that just seemed like a flavor that was too...wierd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast