Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy cream, is it too good to be true? page

november is offline Member

Heavy cream, is it too good to be true?

Primal Fuel
    Per the advice on the acne thread, I'm planning to experiment with a high-fat ketogenic diet. Someone suggested heavy cream as a "safe" keto food, and given my love/hate relationship with dairy, I'm very curious. I know a high fat diet can be done without dairy, but it would be a heck of a lot more motivating and delicious if I could pour some gorgeous whipping cream over whatever I'm eating. So, to people who consume it or have in the past, does it seem to trigger an insulin response like other forms of dairy? Cause acne? Trigger weight gain? I swore off the stuff a while ago after my lack of self control resulted in my consuming an entire pint bottle of the stuff (!) in one day, but that was combined with lots of fruit and honey so I'm hoping the keto context will help diminish the addictive aspect. I just had a couple ounces whipped up with some cinnamon and cardamom and I have no desire to polish off the bottle, so we'll see!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    The best way to know is to try it out. Me personally, dairy doesn't make me break out. But, I know a ton of people that react poorly to dairy. It's just a matter of personal experimentation.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    No acne here, but drinking a pint of cream would mean I'd be in the bathroom for a couple of hours. Good thing I don't need those extra calories, or I'd have to find a different way of consuming them.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Heavy cream has less protein and less sugars per serving than whole milk, but if you're drinking it by the glass, you'll probably trigger a moderate insulin response. If you're drinking a couple tablespoons at a clip, it's probably negligible.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Per the advice on the acne thread, I'm planning to experiment with a high-fat ketogenic diet. Someone suggested heavy cream as a "safe" keto food, and given my love/hate relationship with dairy, I'm very curious. I know a high fat diet can be done without dairy, but it would be a heck of a lot more motivating and delicious if I could pour some gorgeous whipping cream over whatever I'm eating. So, to people who consume it or have in the past, does it seem to trigger an insulin response like other forms of dairy? Cause acne? Trigger weight gain? I swore off the stuff a while ago after my lack of self control resulted in my consuming an entire pint bottle of the stuff (!) in one day, but that was combined with lots of fruit and honey so I'm hoping the keto context will help diminish the addictive aspect. I just had a couple ounces whipped up with some cinnamon and cardamom and I have no desire to polish off the bottle, so we'll see!
    Try it without the fruit and honey. I suspect those are the triggers, not the cream.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Did you say "lots of fruit" and then "keto"? Just checking...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Tandy is offline Member
    I eat only raw dairy. Raw cream is a little slice of heaven. I whip it up in the kitchenaid and put it over berries. Yum!
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't have access to raw cream, but I buy glass-bottled. It's the only kind around here that it not ultra-pasteurized and has no additives.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Where do you find glass bottled cream?

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Heavy cream has less protein and less sugars per serving than whole milk, but if you're drinking it by the glass, you'll probably trigger a moderate insulin response. If you're drinking a couple tablespoons at a clip, it's probably negligible.
    The heavy whipping cream I buy at Kroger has 0g sugar and 0g protein....or are there negligible amounts that they don't have to put on the label?
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast