Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavy cream, is it too good to be true? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Heavy cream has a minimum fat content of 35%

Double cream has a minimum fat content of 48%

Clotted cream has a minimum fat content of 55%

Both Double and Clotted Cream is available through Amazon. I've also seen them on the shelves at upscale supermarkets.
    I have never seen either double cream or clotted cream in any supermarket. We don't have upscale supermarkets where I live.

Isn't clotted cream made by a different process?

I'm not going to buy fresh dairy from Amazon. How fresh will it be when it gets here? Not as fresh as what I drove to the farm to buy.

healthcoach is offline Junior Member
    I have had many patients with GI symptoms and arthritic symptoms have excellent response as long as its raw
    and from grass fed cows. Ultra pasturized.. waste of time, completely toxic

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Why is ultra pasteurized a waste? The heating kills all the good stuff?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Ultrapasteurized is beyond heated. Go do a search on the process. It's basically so altered it's actually shelf-stable and they only put it in the fridge at the market to create the illusion of freshness. Remember Parmalat? It was the first ultrapasteurized milk. Nobody would buy it because it was on the shelf next to the flour and sugar. Didn't seem fresh if not in the refrigerated aisles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Ewwwwww

msjameyers is offline Junior Member
    Really? Finally founded hc at trader Joe's without caregeenan but it is pasturized,...where would there be anything else if you don't live near a dairy farm.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aspexil View Post
    We have a "Fresh Market" store in town and they carry Devon Double Cream. Delicious stuff and I have a bottle in the fridge. Oddly enough, they don't carry heavy cream.

Our local health food store carries heavy cream from a local dairy.
    You're talking Oregon.

Oregon! I went to college there. Did the whole hippie vegan thing there too, got sick from it too. I loved Oregon.

SuBee is offline Member
    I usually get the stuff from Trader Joe's, too, but we can get Strauss cream in the glass returnable jars at Whole Foods. It's probably pasteurized, too, but my impression is that the cows get more grass, if not all grass. It has a slightly lower fat content than TJ's.

november is offline Member
    Ugh apparently the answer for me is "Yes, it is too good to be true". Let's just say it involved my having nothing to do but stay home and work on a school project I really don't want to do, feeling really sorry for myself, and realizing that I have an ice cream maker and a nearly full pint bottle of cream. -1 for november, +1 for casomorphins or whatever the hell it is that makes the stuff so damn addictive! And it's so concentrated so what appears to be a reasonable sized bowl of homemade ice cream has literally 1,000 calories! Of course if I had a modicum of self-control, I suppose it wouldn't be a problem. Blah. Maybe tomorrow would be a good day for a nice water fast, considering that cronometer tells me I have consumed 219% of my alotted calories for the day!
    Last edited by november; 06-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast