Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! About to Fall off the Primal Wagon ..... page

HeatherW is offline Junior Member

Help! About to Fall off the Primal Wagon .....

Thrive Market
    I've been living the primal lifestyle for the past 2 months. I feel great, my moods have regulated, no more extreme highs and lows plus I've lost 20 lbs. (prior to going primal I lost 120lbs through standard calorie restriction and chronic cardio) So to date, I'm down @ 140 lbs.

So here's the dilemma - I just arrived at my family's lake house to spend the next 11 days on vacation hanging out with my family. I visit them every year for a few weeks around the 4th of July. It's tons of fun, but also involves tons of unhealthy food. All day long there are donuts, bagels, cookies, brownies, crackers, chips, candy, smores, beer (lots of beer) all just sitting out.

Every year (even through my weight loss) I always fall off the wagon while I'm here. I have the best of intentions, but it's like making an addict hang around in a crack house for 11 days and expect them to stay sober.

This year I want things to be different, I really do. I know that eating that way will make me feel awful, and will make me gain 5-10 lbs, but I feel this awful pull, it's like a tractor beam pulling me in and I don't know how to stop it. I've been here for 12 hours. I am barely hanging on. Help!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Looking forward to the rush of replies from people also having family lake houses and get through this trial each year
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    fruit and avocado? cottage cheese and cinnamon? yogurt and honey? chocolate mousse made with whipped cream and chocolate and whatever sweetener? all of the above?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

november is offline Member
    My advice is to keep yourself filled up with whatever acceptable foods are around. If you're not eating enough of the good stuff, you'll be way likelier to cave in to temptation. Maybe choose one or two non-primal things you'd really enjoy that you could eat with your family so they feel like you're taking part in the festivities, and then you won't feel out of control and likely to binge because it's something you planned?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    First, congrats on the 140 lbs. that is an awesome accomplishment.

I outsource self control when needed. Can you recruit an ally?

Other than that, as you know, the best offense is a good defense. I'm going home in a couple of weeks and I'm not staying in anyone's houses. If you really don't want this pattern to repeat, you are going to have to break the pattern. Get your own space.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Myra is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on your accomplishment. Fill up on the good stuff and pick a couple of other things that you really enjoy. Tell anyone who comments that you eat to feel good and want to avoid feeling like crap. As a former cake and donut queen, once I reformed my ways and people would try to entice me with my former comfort foods, I would ask them which part was the treat, the wheat that would give me a tummy ache or the sugar that would get me high and then make me crash into a drugged stupor.

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    Go all out if you want, it'll prime your body for more weight loss if you have the discipline to return to strict primal. That can be a slippery slope, though, and could lead to a longer relapse. Maybe just pig out on the 4th or something, and try to amp up the physical activity.

What are your stats now?

HeatherW is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming! Super helpful.

My current stats:
    40 yo Female
    5'7"
    183lbs (started out @325lbs)
    I'm about 36% body fat (yikes! i just did a Dexa test) lots of work still to do. Although I'm pretty fit. I've finished 22 triathlons including 3 Ironmans in the past 3 years. I just wonder what I could accomplish if I could get down to a healthier body weight and body fat %

photocat is offline Member
    I don't have any good advice, as I find myself in a similar situation every time I go visit the in-laws (which is a min. 2 night stay at their house). For me it isn't a question of filling up on good stuff so I won't eat the bad. I just still WANT to eat regardless of being physically hungry or not. I usually give in and sometimes that satisfies the need and sometimes prevents me from eating bad the next day (while still there)...sometimes not. I always gain weight and always feel icky afterwards but have not come close to mastering the "want" portion of all this yet. When I started this a year ago, those "cheat" weekends did help fuel the weight loss because I'd go right back on the wagon when I got home. Now, not so much...time to alter strategies...again.

edit - When I said "now not so much" I mean when I cheat for a couple days and go back on the wagon, that no longer seems to spur the weight loss. (I haven't, and won't go back to the full time SAD again no matter what!)
    Last edited by photocat; 06-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.

myzander is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I too just got back from a vacation and know how hard that can be. For the first time we planned ahead, we brought paleo/primal snacks and food to eat. And when we ran out of food we stopped by a whole foods to restock. Could you do something like that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast