Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! About to Fall off the Primal Wagon ..... page 3

feren6 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    When it comes down to it, controlling your environment is your best bet.

If it was one day around all the terrible food, you'd be able to use your willpower to control your cravings..but after 12, there's no way in hell. If I was around people getting drunk every day at a shore house and I didn't want to party, I'd give in because it'd be too difficult to hold out for two weeks.

Go to the store and pick yourself some primal options to eat. Get more than you think you need so that you always have options. Meats, cheeses, fruits, frozen veggies, and SMOOTHIES! They can be your best friend, especially if you can get some protein powder.

And if you indulge a little bit, no biggie. The stress will cause you to gain more weight (cortisol) than you actually would if you just had a piece of bread and enjoyed it

SuBee is offline Member
    I didn't hear any victim mentality at all. The situation you describe is difficult for many, if not most, people.

It might be a little late for this trip to take up a craft, but one thing that has helped me in similar situations is to have my knitting with me. When people are hanging out and visiting and the chips are calling my name, it is easier to have something that's keeping my hands occupied. If you don't knit, maybe you could sketch or doodle or play cat's cradle with the little ones (should there be little ones). Or heck, learn to knit!

If nothing else, you can view this as a learning experience. Keep track of what worked and what didn't. Take notes on what might help next time. Does moderation work for you, or do you need to take a more black-and-white approach? If you eat primally for the first four days and then it stops working, what led to that happening--did you just get worn down (research shows that this does happen with will-power) or did you decide to have just one cookie that became several, or something else?

I have found that if I'm going to be around other people's yummy non-primal food, I need to really step up my game as far as the deliciousness of what I bring. I like hard-boiled eggs, for instance, but they don't compete with, say, raspberry cream-cheese bars. Bacon, or even deviled eggs, on the other hand, are better competitors.

As others have mentioned, if you can keep your focus on being good to yourself (as opposed to feeling restricted) that will help you rely less on your will-power. One of my favorite relevant quotes, from Pema Chodron: "...unless we equate refraining with lovingkindness and friendliness toward ourselves, refraining feels like putting on a straitjacket."

mike is offline Senior Member
    Well, you have lost 140 pounds so I'd say that gives you the right to decide what you eat and when you eat it. Look temptation in the eye... and then eat that big ass ribeye and your desire for donuts will pass...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnj1965 View Post
    Hopefully there are salad fixin's around as well. If you have to eat a tomatoe like an apple, salt shaker in hand, so be it.
    If there's neither salad fixin's or vegetables around, you could assign yourself the task of being the "salad and vegetables" girl. People enjoy meals more where vegetables are offered, even if they often don't think of cooking them themselves.

Do you normally eat breakfast? If so, whip yourself up an omelet with sauteed vegetables and bacon to start the day right. Let people who are eating froot loops or dry pastries for breakfast be jealous.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Fall. It's okay. You won't die.

When you're ready, you'll get back up again.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherW View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming! Super helpful.

My current stats:
    40 yo Female
    5'7"
    183lbs (started out @325lbs)
    I'm about 36% body fat (yikes! i just did a Dexa test) lots of work still to do. Although I'm pretty fit. I've finished 22 triathlons including 3 Ironmans in the past 3 years. I just wonder what I could accomplish if I could get down to a healthier body weight and body fat %
    This might actually be your problem.
    T NATION | The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin

You could use this vacation as an opportunity to try something different. Perhaps get up an hour earlier than everyone else and go out and do some bodyweight exercises and sprints or intervals of some sort. Not too many of those, maybe once or twice a week. Get your workout in, then go for a nice walk. This new exercise plan may actually prove beneficial, along with the complete license to veg out and recover for the rest of the time.

Do your best with the food situation. I've found that I can almost always make decent choices no matter what is presented. There's always something that is safe to eat and since primal I'm usually a lot better able to resist things I couldn't resist before. You may find it's the same way with you now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Heather, congratulations on your 140 lbs loss!!!

All of the above advice is great but what you should really do is gorge on all the bad stuff thay first day you get there. Seriously, stuff yourself. Then you'll feel the repercussions of that the next day and won't touch the stuff for the next 10 days, and probably end up going back home lighter than when you got there.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Heather, you've gotten a lot of advice. The issue now is that you need to develop a strategy that works for you to keep this from happening. No one can do that for you. Go at it with an open mind and a list of things to try. If something doesn't work, go on to another without recrimination or blaming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123