Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on various causes of obesity world-wide page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Interesting article on various causes of obesity world-wide

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    David Berreby

Lots of causes including: industrial chemicals, light at night, 'things that alter the body’s fat metabolism', ‘thermoneutral zones’, viruses, bacteria, the history of capitalism and a lot more. It's an interesting read.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    SB, this is a fascinating article, I'm reading it a little at time so it may take me awhile to get through it. So far it looks like just about everything in our contemporary culture is converging to make us fat. Even 50 years ago things were radically different, most people didn't have AC, stores were not open 24/7, not to mention all the franken foods and chemicals that are ubiquitous.

Back to reading.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the read

I lived overseas for a few years (very enlightening experience) in North Africa. The weirdest thing I saw was overweight poor people. After visiting many a homes I figured out what it was. All the fat folks used corn oil and margarine. Both being fairly new to them, as before it was just olive oil or butter. Now corn oil and margarine are cheap, so much so that they have left butter alone and olive oil is merely for medicinal purposes. Sad really, margarine is been given the "healthy" title as well as corn oil. It's like my moms generation all over again. Salt and animal products are all considered "fattening". The elders over there are dumbfounded at how fat everyone is getting, and the doctors think its just the new sugary foods. whenever I would visit a home and find thin people I asked if they used corn oil or margarine, and funny, they all said not really. Reasons? Tastes funny, or smells bad. Lol

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Interesting reading. Thanks sb!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I lived overseas for a few years (very enlightening experience) in North Africa. The weirdest thing I saw was overweight poor people. After visiting many a homes I figured out what it was. All the fat folks used corn oil and margarine.

Things have not changed much at least in Egypt umm7. Corn oil is still the usual cooking oil here and more and more processed foods are being eaten. Even out in the middle of nowhere where I work and live, there is a KFC and a Pizza Hut. And to make things work, all the fast-food places in Cairo deliver. You no longer have to get your fat ass out of a chair and at least waddle down to your car and back, they will deliver your McPuke to your door!

While the overall levels of obesity here is not what it is in the USA, they are not that far behind I think.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Texas grok, very sad indeed. I'm guessing when GMOs are allowed into Egypt it will get much worse. Algeria, where I was (in the South were the oil fields are) it's also banned but I'm guessing won't stay that way.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article. We should all sleep in tents in our backyards or vacant lots, learn about weeds, and forage the healthy ones as soon as we wake up.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    But the weeds will be all covered in industrial waste from air pollution.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Tandy is offline Member
    I don't see the link to the article. ???
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast