umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Click the name David

Tandy is offline Member
    Thanks.
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But the weeds will be all covered in industrial waste from air pollution.
    Yeah! So we'll wash them with vegetable soap. But that's still not enough. I've often wondered if my returned health on PB is mostly about not eating all the added chemicals in foods, not really which foods we choose to eat, just how 'pure' they are.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Liam is offline Member
    I just read this article and is an excellent read. It has the premise of asking why have lab animals, the most tightly controlled animals on the planet when it comes to diet, have become fatter over the last few decades. And moves on without mentioning ancestral health to some hypotheses that chime remarkably with Primal living:

"if the problem isn’t the number of calories but rather biochemical influences on the body’s fat-making and fat-storage processes, then sheer quantity of food or drink are not the all-controlling determinants of weight gain. If candy’s chemistry tilts you toward fat, then the fact that you eat it at all may be as important as the amount of it you consume.

More importantly, ‘things that alter the body’s fat metabolism’ is a much wider category than food. Sleeplessness and stress, for instance, have been linked to disturbances in the effects of leptin, the hormone that tells the brain that the body has had enough to eat. What other factors might be at work? Viruses, bacteria and industrial chemicals have all entered the sights of obesity research. So have such aspects of modern life as electric light, heat and air conditioning. All of these have been proposed, with some evidence, as direct causes of weight gain: the line of reasoning is not that stress causes you to eat more, but rather that it causes you to gain weight by directly altering the activities of your cells. If some or all of these factors are indeed contributing to the worldwide fattening trend, then the thermodynamic model is wrong."

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But the weeds will be all covered in industrial waste from air pollution.
    You're right. Great article. Goes to show no one knows what's going on food-wise. PubMed.gov amazes me. 1,000,000 articles per year. If you read, studies, and thoroughly considered 2 per day, you'd be 500,000 articles behind in one year. You can search for any 1 food, chemical, substrate, etc., and find articles proving both true and false. It's hopeless. I've really lost faith and hope in medical science. But something(s) are certainly making us all fatter with smaller brains and shorter lifespans.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12