Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gotten reflux while eating primal? (I blame the coffee and alcohol!) page

AdamK is offline Member

Anyone gotten reflux while eating primal? (I blame the coffee and alcohol!)

Shop Now
    Hi MDAers,

Few days ago, got dx with mild reflux - throat, etc was getting a bit burned. not fun!

My guess is stress + alcohol every night on an empty stomach + 5+ cups of coffee a day (also often on an empty stomach) = the main culprits. I've been low carb/paleo for 4 years and I've never had any gastric issues prior.

Anyone else dealt with this kinda thing? How long after I quit the coffee/etc before things return to normal?

thanks for any insights!

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I had GERD before going primal, I found once I stuck to the primal diet my symptoms subsided very much, but what made them go away completely.... Was not stuffing my face, not drinking lots of liquids while eating, and not eating at least 3 hours prior to bed, during this time I would only drink one cup of iced coffee with lots of cream, and I didn't drink for a month, that let my body heal, now my guid is the same (don't drink lots of liquid after eating, eat slow and stop before full, don't eat there hours before bed) now I eat spicey jalapeņos, drink black coffee, enjoy all the beer I want, and on occasion eat some pizza or a couple of hot dogs in these summer months, no problems.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Guide*

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK View Post
    Hi MDAers,

Few days ago, got dx with mild reflux - throat, etc was getting a bit burned. not fun!

My guess is stress + alcohol every night on an empty stomach + 5+ cups of coffee a day (also often on an empty stomach) = the main culprits. I've been low carb/paleo for 4 years and I've never had any gastric issues prior.

Anyone else dealt with this kinda thing? How long after I quit the coffee/etc before things return to normal?

thanks for any insights!
    i'm inclined to agree with this. my heartburn issues went away on primal, with the exception of eating too much spaghetti sauce
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

AdamK is offline Member
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the input and reassurance. Better today, 4 days after giving up coffee, selzer and alcohol cold turkey. Note to other primal/LCers: drinking massive amts of coffee, seltzer, tea and alcholol CAN undo the positive gastro effects of this healthier diet

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Giving up coffee, seltzer and alcohol cold turkey will be a challenging task unless your self discipline is stellar. Easy to fall off the wagon when you make such a drastic and sudden change to your behavior.

What tends to happen to people who quit things cold turkey is that they start obsessing about those indulgences and can't stop thinking about what they perceive they are missing out on.

I would recommend a more gentle transition for long lasting success. Just my 2 cents.

AdamK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Giving up coffee, seltzer and alcohol cold turkey will be a challenging task unless your self discipline is stellar. Easy to fall off the wagon when you make such a drastic and sudden change to your behavior.

What tends to happen to people who quit things cold turkey is that they start obsessing about those indulgences and can't stop thinking about what they perceive they are missing out on.

I would recommend a more gentle transition for long lasting success. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks ilovesteak, good advice. I kinda have an obsessive personality that lets me go cold turkey, but I'd prefer to live as close to a normal life as possible. Already way too conscious of the food I eat!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, if I happen to guzzle a couple glasses of red wine with a meal it comes right back. I only drink one cup of black coffee in the morning and it has not been a problem.

morphing into primal is offline Junior Member
    I rarely get reflux these days. I've found that the thing that triggered it was eating too much. Pre-primal, I would stuff my face 3x a day and then at night I'd be miserable.

Another major trigger that I eliminated was soy. I didn't realize it at the time but soy is in a lot of processed foods, even "healthy" foods. I also ate a lot of Chinese and Thai food pre-primal, so I can imagine soy+MSG was in a lot of it. Hell, there was even soy in my whey protein powder!

Since kicking soy to the curb and eating responsibly, I've only had a few flare ups. One was due to drinking too much beer. Another was drinking some flavored creamer with a cup of coffee (only drink coffee 1x a week usually). Turns out the creamer had soy isolate in it and that is why I had symptoms. The last time it happened was when I ate some soup my dad had made that had several different kinds of peppers + hominy in it. It was good, but it caused serious heartburn. Probably from the heat.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I find that even the type of coffee matters. I usually buy low-acid coffees from Alterra, but I ran out and the new order hasn't come, so I bought some other stuff. I definitely notice a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast