Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about calorie content page

table9 is offline Junior Member

question about calorie content

Primal Fuel
    Mark,
    Let's say you decide to eat a 2,000 calorie diet. Is the premise of the book that the content of those calories will mean the difference between losing and gaining weight? So if the calories from carbohydrates were less than 50 grams vs 300 grams in the second case would you lose vs. gain in this case?

Primal is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't say it's "the" premise of the book. However, the answer to your question is "yes." It's called the metabolic advantage of a ketogenic diet: http://backacrosstheline.blogspot.co...arb-diets.html

feeding of a ketogenic diet with a high content of fat and very low carbohydrate leads to distinct changes in metabolism and gene expression that appear consistent with the increased metabolism and lean phenotype seen. Through a specific dietary manipulation, weight loss can occur secondary to distinct metabolic changes and without caloric restriction

Raleighwood is offline Member
    I'm going to ruffle a lot of feathers...

In it's most basic form, weight loss and fat loss boil down to calories in versus calories out. Now, macro-nutritent %s, will affect how you feel, energy levels, hunger levels, and the amount of protein will affect body composition (loss of lean vs fat tissue).

Low carb dieting works. However, so does high carb dieting. Depending on your specific body type and response to insulin, one or the other may work better for you. People tend to immediately lose 10-15lbs with a PB style diet, bc generally they are moving from a very high carb, calorie surplus diet to a maintenance/sub maintenance low carb plan. A shift to a low in carb diet tends to signal the body to release water, quickly lowering body-weight and perceived fat levels.

Now, as for long term health... That is another story. I am under the opinion that a PB style diet, modified for your unique body is probably the best for long term quality of life.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    I'm going to ruffle a lot of feathers...

In it's most basic form, weight loss and fat loss boil down to calories in versus calories out. Now, macro-nutritent %s, will affect how you feel, energy levels, hunger levels, and the amount of protein will affect body composition (loss of lean vs fat tissue).

Low carb dieting works. However, so does high carb dieting. Depending on your specific body type and response to insulin, one or the other may work better for you. People tend to immediately lose 10-15lbs with a PB style diet, bc generally they are moving from a very high carb, calorie surplus diet to a maintenance/sub maintenance low carb plan. A shift to a low in carb diet tends to signal the body to release water, quickly lowering body-weight and perceived fat levels.

Now, as for long term health... That is another story. I am under the opinion that a PB style diet, modified for your unique body is probably the best for long term quality of life.
    I beg to differ, with unruffled feathers. I have done a lot of research on this topic, and I do believe that there is a metabolic advantage to eating low carb. I use myself as an example:

Eating high carb, low fat, 1,000 calories will maintain my weight.
    Eating low carb, high fat, 2,000 calories will maintain my weight.

A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. Calories effect our bodies in different ways, depending on their impact on blood sugar and insulin release. This is the underlying research behind all low carb diets. It's why low carb works.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    I beg to differ, with unruffled feathers. I have done a lot of research on this topic, and I do believe that there is a metabolic advantage to eating low carb. I use myself as an example:

Eating high carb, low fat, 1,000 calories will maintain my weight.
    Eating low carb, high fat, 2,000 calories will maintain my weight.

A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. Calories effect our bodies in different ways, depending on their impact on blood sugar and insulin release. This is the underlying research behind all low carb diets. It's why low carb works.
    +1

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and to read more about that subject, take a look at this website where it explains why people are gaining weight, and it has to do with the macronutrient issue:

http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work.com

I am very skeptical of your example. There are MANY unique and individual factors that can influence your experiences. Holding all things constant, a 100% difference in calorie intake is not going to result in the same maintenance of body weight. It's not possible. Your resting BMR rate is not going to become 100% faster simply by modifying your carb/fat levels, holding all other behaviors constant..

Generally, when protein is is controlled, weight loss differences between low fat/carb diets are negligible. The reason many people tout the the successes of low carb diets is due to the fact that on a low carb diet high protein intake is easily achieved. Protein is generally accompanied by fat, not carbs.

However, in a high carb diet, proper protein intake is harder to achieve. Therefore the results will differ.

I will agree with you that calorie source is important, especially in regard to the protein intake. However, in terms of carb/fat %s the difference in fat-loss/gain is negligible.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Ooer, that's interesting. Which study are you referring to?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

This isn't a study, but it sums up the ideas. When I have some time I will try to dig up my specific examples.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...a-calorie.html

And just for clarity's sake: I am not knocking low carb diets. They work. I also believe, if followed PB style, the health benefits on the long term are more positive.

However, it's annoying to me when people are myopic or dogmatic and completely dismiss all other methods or ideas (be it dieting, religion, ect.)

Here is an article that lists many of the studies that support my argument.

http://www.maxcondition.com/page.php?152
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-24-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast