Thread: CrossFit Newbie - What To Eat For Fuel? page

theprimalcanadian is offline Junior Member

CrossFit Newbie - What To Eat For Fuel?

Shop Now
    Hi, first time poster here though I've been lurking the forums since I started eating primally.

I have been primal for about 2 months now and so far it's been going great. I've shed some pounds and have been feeling awesome.

I try to keep my carbs low and have generally been about 30 -100g/day, however this was an issue when I tried CrossFit for the first time recently. Midway through the workout I started to feel dizzy, nauseous, clouded vision, etc. so I grabbed a banana and that helped me make it through the rest of the work-out. I used to do long-ish distance cycling (50-90km) and back then I would just load up on pasta, bread and other non-primal carbs but now that those are out of the picture I am kind of at a loss on what to eat. Would a sweet potato during the day be all I need? Or should I eat something else?

So my question to you guys - what are some good primal foods to eat during the day so that I have enough food in my system to fuel me through a workout?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Obviously starches are always a good place to start. Sweet/white potatoes, white rice, etc.

Also, fruit is good as well. Bananas, berries, whatever you like.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

DoraV is offline Member
    I had the same experience when I started crossfit. I have added sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice and fruit in small portions to my daily diet and no longer have issues during the workout.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I tend toward higher carbs versus a lot of others on here. On days that I crossfit (I work out around noon), I usually will have a protein shake made with a scoop of whey protein, about a half cup of berries, and small amount of whole milk. Sometimes I will go for a fasted workout, but that is rare. Post workout I will usually have some actual foods- eggs and greens, a small steak and potato, etc. Personally I crash and burn fast if I try to exercise while very low carb. Play around with it, find out what works best for you.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Definitely eat more carbs and more calories overall. You don't have to eat a ton more. It could be as simple as adding a sweet potato and banana to your dinner every night. When I first started, I was trying to lose fat so I was doing very low carbs, and I burned out pretty quick until a coach told me to have just one sweet potato with dinner, and this fixed me right up.

Right now I'm trying to build muscle while staying lean, so I do Crossfit fasted at 6am, have a Primal Fuel/coldbrew coffee/frozen berry shake afterward, have protein and fat throughout the day, and carbs at night. I have a late, high-carb dinner (120-150g) on the nights before heavy lifting days.

lybertrian is offline Junior Member
    It's seems like what a lot of people are recommending here is pretty in line with the Martin Berkhan / leangains carb recommendations. I suggest you take a look.