Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin

Primal Fuel
    This is a great read for those looking to drop body fat. Anyone else with a similar experience?

T NATION | The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I just posted that same experience in another thread. Yeah. Cardio makes me fat. I was at my widest, belly-wise, when I was training for a marathon I ran a couple years ago. I had actually put on about 10 pounds by the time I ran the darn thing! And I was still exhausted and hungry all the time! Never again.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article. Although I don't particularly like aerobic training (particularly because of personal preference), I think the title of this article is quite silly, and this is not the final nail in the coffin (I know that they were trying to be catchy, but it's still amusing).

A very well respected strength and conditioning coach named Mike Robertson just posted an article suggesting that aerobics is extremely important: You NEED Long Duration, Low Intensity Cardio Robertson Training Systems

Again, it's one of those things that is personal preference, and it just depends on how it affects you.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    R.I.P. steady state aeeeeerobic’s!!! Yep, I agree completely; triathlon, marathon type of endurance training will not get you abs, and will catabolize lean muscle tissue and make you grow old before time. No doubt about that! Walking, sprinting, some jogging, fartslek etc., with changing of intensity all the time, is the way to go and not doing steady state cardio for hours. But still, most people are doing too little training and are sitting too much through the day, but overdoing cardio of the type in the article is BAD…

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Another fella in the "pro cardio" camp is Dr. Philip Maffetone. Old school. But if you actually read his stuff and the the link from Jakejoh 10 these guys are proponents of 120 or 130 beats per minute, working for anywhere from 30-90 minutes sort of thing. This definitely falls into the "move frequently at a slow pace" of the primal pyramid (55-70% i believe?). This ain't your mom's step arobic class!

So while chronic cardio may be dead (working at 80-90% capacity for hours on end), true aerobic training is still very much alive.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-28-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I just started a thread looking for advice on dropping some fat, but I am no marathon runner. I doubt I could even run a 5K! No idea, I don't run, or even jog. Would some cardio, say 30 minutes a day at high intensity really be bad for me? A woman who spends most of her gym time in the weight room, but has a few lbs of fat yet to lose.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I've done everything over the years from ultra endurance events like the Ironman and 50 milers to yoga and bodybuilding. I understand the allure of a good trail run at altitude and the meditative zen feel of a LSD run. However when focused on endurance I was often dealing with overuse injuries, fatigue and succeptibility to colds etc. I like a more balanced approach now and try to incorporate a bit of everything in cycles over the course of a year.
    Last edited by canuck416; 06-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I just started a thread looking for advice on dropping some fat, but I am no marathon runner. I doubt I could even run a 5K! No idea, I don't run, or even jog. Would some cardio, say 30 minutes a day at high intensity really be bad for me? A woman who spends most of her gym time in the weight room, but has a few lbs of fat yet to lose.
    I would say that 30 minutes per day would be a bit excessive and might hamper weight lifting performance (by compromising recovery). High intensity cardio can be systematically stressful, so I would say 3-4 times per week would be good.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I've done everything over the years from ultra endurance events like the Ironman and 50 milers to yoga and bodybuilding. I understand the allure of a good trail run at altitude and the meditative zen feel of a LSD run. However when focused on endurance I was often dealing with overuse injuries, fatigue and succeptibility to colds etc. I like a more balanced approach now and try to incorporate a bit of everything in cycles over the course of a year.
    Really, you run while on LSD? What's that like?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Really, you run while on LSD? What's that like?
    LSD = Long Slow Distance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast