Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin page 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Really, you run while on LSD? What's that like?
    Ha Ha...Awesome dude!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I just started a thread looking for advice on dropping some fat, but I am no marathon runner. I doubt I could even run a 5K! No idea, I don't run, or even jog. Would some cardio, say 30 minutes a day at high intensity really be bad for me? A woman who spends most of her gym time in the weight room, but has a few lbs of fat yet to lose.
    I would do a few days of low intensity cardio - walk or slow jog for 3 to 5 miles and add 1 or 2 days of sprints combined with some strength training (push and challenge yourself by consistantly increasing the weights lifted - progressive resistance). Also keep your carb macros under 100 gms.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Anyone else with a similar experience?
    Well, on two separate summers, for 3 months my day looked like this:
    5:30AM wake up, put tent and belongings away while eating breakfast
    6:00AM hit the trail. Do not stop moving unless I need to use a bush or refill mywater bottles. Eat while walking.
    6:00PM cook some dinner. Put dinner in backpack and hike another hour or two.
    7:00-8PM set up tent, lie down and eat dinner, total up daily miles and write in journal something like 22, 28 or 31.
    Get up and do it again for several more days. Spend 2 days washing up, buying more food, having some restaurant meals and repeat.

Lost 15 pounds or so in first month. Held steady after that. The final month of the second summer I started to become capable of gaining back the 15 pounds while putting in those 30 mile days.

I've tried Phil Maffetone's method. It's really very very slow. I really struggled to run that slow. I did enjoy going out for super long "runs" but nothing about my body changed.

Weight training is the only thing that's changed my body significantly. I do tabatas on an stationary bike once a week, too. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Most of the changes in my body are hardly noticeable by anybody but me. I've tried to take progress pictures but they do not show anything that looks any better than a year ago.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

miata is offline Senior Member
    It is so sad. I've been working out at my company gym a couple of times a week for a few months now. There is this one women who is always there on the treadmill. I swear every time I see her she is getting fatter and fatter. I have a hard time just watching this tragedy, but you know how it is...

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    It is so sad. I've been working out at my company gym a couple of times a week for a few months now. There is this one women who is always there on the treadmill. I swear every time I see her she is getting fatter and fatter. I have a hard time just watching this tragedy, but you know how it is...
    I'm sure there's more to the equation than just the cardio is making her fat.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12