Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Squats page 9

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That makes sense about reps correctly done before adding stress. I will just stick with what can be done 100% correct every time before increasing. Thank you

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    Thanks Stacy! Yeah, it hurt a lot to go back to the bar alone lol . It is much harder to go past parallel, I had no idea my pc was so weak. I'm in it for the tight tush too ;-) as well as just being all around stronger. I hated cardio, this is much much better!!
    I hear ya on the cardio! I used to wear a heart rate monitor and do spin classes trying to keep my heart rate as high as possible until I burned 700 calories. If that isn't pure hell, I don't know what is. And I stayed fat. I feel like I did find the 'magic pill' in weightlifting. Best part is, even without doing much in form of cardio, my endurance is up from strength training when I get out to do fun things like biking/hiking, etc. Win, win!

Total win win... I fell in love lol

quikky is offline Senior Member
    That makes sense about reps correctly done before adding stress. I will just stick with what can be done 100% correct every time before increasing. Thank you
    There's a delicate balance between proper form and weight on the bar. The important thing to remember is that it is much easier to do a light weight with perfect form, than a heavier one, and that you won't get good at doing a heavier weight if you only do light weight. If you can squat 95lb, for example, your form will not improve much at 95lb if you keep doing 45lb. If your form is correct, increase the weight.

Also, post a form check. Seriously. Really.

FitnessLady is offline Junior Member
    Now some folks will notice a grinding noise in the knee joint when they squat. If it’s not painful, it’s categorized as “benign creptius” which, again is nothing to be concerned about. Many people experience this throughout their lives and never have any problems.

Ok, thank you very much

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Hi umm7 I read the replies until they went off the rails so I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this or not. When I'm teaching someone to squat here are a couple of things that I have found help the issue of knee pain. Some one posted a video that i have not taken the time to look at but these ques are commonly overlooked when teaching the squat.

The next time you are at the gym head over into a quiet corner in front of the mirror and take off your shoes. TELL NO ONE!!! People in the gym will loose their minds because as we all know that thin piece of mesh on the top of your shoe is going to save your feet from all the weights being thrown around like frisbee's. Now space your HEALS (Sorry no italics) a little bit wider than shoulder width apart and angle your toes about 5 degrees. So if your feet were on a clock and straight would be noon, your left foot should be pointing at 11:00 and your right foot should be pointing at 1:00. The reason is because the femur doesn't attach perfectly straight at the hip so this slight angle will help with getting to depth. Who ever posted to squat past parallel +1.

Now shift your weight back into your HEALS and to the OUTSIDE of your foot. That's where you want to start your squat from. With your weight back in your stance, out of your toes, and to the outside of your foot.

Your chest is up nice and high like you have a string pulling you to the ceiling and for now pull your belly button to your spine. Next you are going to sit BACK as if on to a very low chair and OPEN your knees so they track at the same angle as your toes. A que that I use for my guys is "show me your nuts!" You would not believe some of the looks I get yelling that at a guy with a bar on his back but it gets the job done. I know you are a woman so open the knees, show me your zipper, or show me your nuts! What ever works for you just keep the weight back and out in your feet so the knees stay upright and don't cave in to the center.

As you come out of the bottom position shift your weight the the BALL (not toes) of your foot and drive your hips back under your shoulders until you are standing back up again. After you have practiced with no weight and no shoes head over to the squat rack load up a bar and dig in! Just leave your shoes behind or buy a pair of minimus or free or at least something with no heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Now space your HEALS (Sorry no italics) a little bit wider than shoulder width apart and angle your toes about 5 degrees. So if your feet were on a clock and straight would be noon, your left foot should be pointing at 11:00 and your right foot should be pointing at 1:00.
    Your femurs will be at a much greater angle than 5 degrees when your feet are at that width, typically around 30 degrees, depending on your anthropometry. Tracking your femurs over your toes will not be possible. Try it, and look at your femur angle, it won't be ~5 degrees.

Now shift your weight back into your HEALS and to the OUTSIDE of your foot. That's where you want to start your squat from. With your weight back in your stance, out of your toes, and to the outside of your foot.
    Why?

You should keep the weight over your whole foot, with the bar's vertical path being in the middle of your whole foot, which is your center of mass. The heavier the weight, the more important this will become.

Your chest is up nice and high...
    This is correct.

...What ever works for you just keep the weight back and out in your feet so the knees stay upright and don't cave in to the center.
    What do you mean by that (bolded)?

As you come out of the bottom position shift your weight the the BALL (not toes) of your foot and drive your hips back under your shoulders until you are standing back up again.
    This is plain wrong. The weight should be equally distributed over your feet. If you "shift the weight" anywhere but the middle of your foot, you will create a moment force between the bar and the balance point and will introduce a bad inefficiency (and potential safety issue) to your squat.

Just leave your shoes behind or buy a pair of minimus or free or at least something with no heal.
    This is half wrong. Minimal shoes are better than typical sneakers for sure. However, having a stiff heel is advantageous. Best shoes to get is a pair of weightlifting shoes. Weightlifting shoes all have heels.
    Last edited by quikky; 07-12-2013 at 02:03 PM.

I do this all barefoot.

I do what feels normal like when I pick up groceries or my kids, I don't shift front or back, just squarely planted. I can tell that I have weak glutes and hams so instead of pushing up with them I seems I lean forward and try to use my back to compensate. I think I shouldn't increase weight each workout, maybe once a week, until I get stronger. My knees now feel great, which is just crazy to me. I read that having a weak pc can cause knee pain.
    I also started doing glute bridges, I hope that helps build strength there so I can squat more and be that much stronger.

I do appreciate everyone's time, thank you.

I do this all barefoot.

I do what feels normal like when I pick up groceries or my kids, I don't shift front or back, just squarely planted. I can tell that I have weak glutes and hams so instead of pushing up with them I seems I lean forward and try to use my back to compensate. I think I shouldn't increase weight each workout, maybe once a week, until I get stronger. My knees now feel great, which is just crazy to me. I read that having a weak pc can cause knee pain.
    I also started doing glute bridges, I hope that helps build strength there so I can squat more and be that much stronger.

I do appreciate everyone's time, thank you.
    Drive with your hips. When you have reached depth, think of driving your ass up, this a good cue for telling your body to engage your posterior chain, instead of just driving with your chest and quads, which is what you might be doing. This is where keeping your chest up, i.e. your thoracic spine in proper extension is important so you are not doing a "good morning squat".

I would drop additional leg work until you improve your squat. It will just fatigue you more and will make it harder to progress. Squats work your glutes plenty hard enough, I assure you.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast