Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Squats page 8

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I started over with just the bar (45 lbs) and am now going below parallel. My knee pain is almost completely gone!! Hopefully it will stay that way, I really do love squatting. I do have to say that going below parallel is much much harder work :-)

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Because every snowflake is precious and unique. You know the type, every discussion involves them saying something like:

"Everyone is different, what works for someone, might not work for you!"

... Except it does. Every person in existence who is physically capable of working with barbells, will get stronger the most efficiently with barbells. Millions of people, all over the world, for decades, have used barbells to build a lot of strength. ... But not you. You're different. You're unique. You will just do some push-ups, and curl some dumbbells, and you'll be strong, because barbells are not for you, not for your gentle snowflake body. It's too unique...
    I just wet myself.

This absolutely should be a sticky. Hall of fame post if I ever read one.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Contrary to popular belief, doing squats with full range of motion actually strengthens your knees. this might help you: how to squat properly
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Hell yeah performing a full squat is harder than a half squat. And I'm not surprised your knee is feeling better. Here's a little Rip wisdom for your reading pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    The Squat: Easier Doesn't Work
    By Mark Rippetoe

Squatting high is easier, but easier doesn't work.

You actually know this already, even if you keep the secret buried down below your brain stem. Easier has never worked, and you figured this out in about the fifth grade, provided you weren't in some remedial program mandated by your state.

When you memorized all your multiplication tables, arithmetic was a lot easier, wasn't it? When you diagrammed all your sentences, the next semester's writing assignments were easier, right? When you actually did all your homework, the test was easier. That type of easier does work.

Squats below parallel are your homework. The result of doing them is that you get stronger on all the other exercises, even the pressing movements, because squats make your whole body stronger – if you do them correctly.

I know it's harder that way, and one of the ways you know it's wrong to do them high is that everybody else does them high. When was the last time that thing everybody else was doing turned out to be the right thing to do?

Deep squats done with a weight that's a little heavier each time you train affect your body in a way that no other exercise can. And believe me when I say that "other methods" have been tried. They just don't work. And it's not that they don't work as well, they don't work at all.

You can quarter-squat or half-squat as much weight as you can load on the bar and growth will not occur at the same rate it does when you finally stop being a pussy and get below parallel with every rep, with a constantly increasing load on your back.

And I'm not sure why squats do that.

We know that the accumulating effects of the increasing load cause the accumulation of adaptations to those heavier loads. We speculate that loading the whole body causes a systemic hormonal response, and that deadlifts don't because of the shorter range of motion and the lack of a stretch reflex at the hardest mechanical position.

But the truth is we don't know exactly why it's the squat and only the squat that produces this effect, and we're not likely to find out anytime soon because the exercise "science" community thinks you can do a squat study with a Smith machine. Really. Look it up.

I – however benighted I may be concerning peer-review, academic rigor, and double-blinding – know what works and what doesn't. The way I know that deep squats work this way and that nothing else does is because I've been doing this for 35 years.

I'm actually not a dull person, and I've seen firsthand the differences in attempting to gain weight and muscle with and without deep squats

I cannot keep good form for ever squat, my pc is weak. Any ideas? Should I still increase the weight each workout it wait?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I cannot keep good form for ever squat, my pc is weak. Any ideas? Should I still increase the weight each workout it wait?
    post. a. form. video.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    post. a. form. video.
    Yes.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I started over with just the bar (45 lbs) and am now going below parallel. My knee pain is almost completely gone!! Hopefully it will stay that way, I really do love squatting. I do have to say that going below parallel is much much harder work :-)
    I also had to drop the weight in order to get my "ass-in-the-grass" when squatting. I had worked myself up to squatting 175lbs parallel. I started over going below, and am at 95 lbs now. Much more difficult! But I like that it is working the back side more, I really don't want or need big quads, but I do want a tight rear. It was hard to drop the weight and start over, even as a woman! I felt awesome squatting a lot of weight, but I'm still awesome cause I'm still the only woman I see in my gym in the squat rack. So good job on squatting!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You know in any skilled movement it takes tons of reps to learn it. From a sports background consider that making any "move" second nature takes like 500 reps. Practice those 500 reps with shitty form though and you get a learned shitty response. I'd say only do the weight that you can accomplish with correct form for at least 500 reps before you really start introducing very high levels of stress (high weight/intensity).

Yeah, a form video for some folks to help you out with is a good idea too.

Thanks Stacy! Yeah, it hurt a lot to go back to the bar alone lol . It is much harder to go past parallel, I had no idea my pc was so weak. I'm in it for the tight tush too ;-) as well as just being all around stronger. I hated cardio, this is much much better!!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast