Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats page 7

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see if going beyond parallel will help my pain. I stopped by a gym and a trainer there was more than happy to watch me squat (said he has not had many girls ask that before). My form is perfect, although I only go to parallel without discomfort. He also said I will still benefit greatly without going under the knees and a parallel squat is better than no squat.

What do y'all think?

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I would like to see if going beyond parallel will help my pain. I stopped by a gym and a trainer there was more than happy to watch me squat (said he has not had many girls ask that before). My form is perfect, although I only go to parallel without discomfort. He also said I will still benefit greatly without going under the knees and a parallel squat is better than no squat.

What do y'all think?
    There can be a lot of reasons why your knees hurt during a squat.

First question is, are your knees in line with your toes throughout the entire movement? Your toes should be rotated outward about 30 degrees, and you need to actively keep your knees out to the sides to track the angle of your toes. Does this happen? It's quite common for people to either hold their toes too straight, or for them to allow their knees to cave towards the middle, especially with heavier weight.

The other question is, do your knees keep traveling forward as your approach parallel, and once you go below? Your knees should assume their final position in the first 1/3-1/2 of the descent, and should stay there.

Have you read Starting Strength by Rippetoe? I would highly advice you do that, especially since you have knee pain.

Also, be careful with the trainers out there, the majority are fools. I've seen countless trainers at typical commercial gyms give just terrible advice. Educate yourself first, and then get a qualified (you'll be able to discern what this entails better once you have some knowledge on form under your belt) coach if you need to.

I have read it, I own it :-) I have also watched his videos. I was certain I was doing it right based on what I have read and watched. I also watched myself in a video, looked good. I went to that gym just for a second opinion as said I should get.

I have had knee pain for a few years now. I remember the day it started, I was in a low squat following "boot camp" billy blanks (or whatever). Please don't tease too much, I'm sure there are reasons why that wasn't so bright...

My father, brothers & uncles all said its genetics. Hard to know without going to a Dr and even then it's a toss up. My youngest brother & uncle had surgery on their knees. The military took responsibility for my brothers and the USPS retired my uncle and took responsibility for his.

No offense to Drs, I just haven't had the best experience.

feren6 is offline Member
    When I had knee pain from squats it wasn't actually knee pain. It was deferred pain from the IT Band, a long muscle that goes from the knee all the way up thigh. To fix it, I just started foam rolling it. It hurts like HELL when I do it, but now my knee pain isn't so much and I feel much more comfortable with doing squats knowing it's not affecting my knees.

Here's a link on it: IT Band Pain - Iliotibial Band Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I have read it, I own it :-) I have also watched his videos. I was certain I was doing it right based on what I have read and watched. I also watched myself in a video, looked good. I went to that gym just for a second opinion as said I should get.

I have had knee pain for a few years now. I remember the day it started, I was in a low squat following "boot camp" billy blanks (or whatever). Please don't tease too much, I'm sure there are reasons why that wasn't so bright...

My father, brothers & uncles all said its genetics. Hard to know without going to a Dr and even then it's a toss up. My youngest brother & uncle had surgery on their knees. The military took responsibility for my brothers and the USPS retired my uncle and took responsibility for his.

No offense to Drs, I just haven't had the best experience.
    You should post a form check on the Starting Strength coach forums.

I was trying to avoid that, why I went to a local gym. Maybe I will anyway

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Parallel is perfect . Make sure ur knees go out on the way up don't let them tuck in !!

London

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Parallel is perfect .
    Do you know what the reason is for squatting below parallel (defined by the hip joint being parallel to the top of the patella)?

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Do you know what the reason is for squatting below parallel (defined by the hip joint being parallel to the top of the patella)?
    No but have been taught going parallel is good & acceptable.
    I do when warming up go below parallel arse to ground but as soon as it goes super heavy parallel is the marker.

But please explain

London

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    No but have been taught going parallel is good & acceptable.
    I do when warming up go below parallel arse to ground but as soon as it goes super heavy parallel is the marker.

But please explain

London
    Just to reiterate what I said earlier, the definition of below parallel here is the hip joint being under the top of the patella. This is quite different than an ass-to-grass squat, which is what you've described. Also, this is not what many people consider parallel, which is the underside of your thigh being parallel with the ground.

As to the reason why below parallel should be done vs just parallel, this is the position that produces a stretch reflex in the posterior chain, namely the glutes, hamstrings, and adductors. Depths higher than this, and the typical "parallel" is several inches higher, are a lot more quad dominant. This is undesirable not only because the posterior chain gets very underutilized, but also because this produces less stable knees, since the anterior forces (quads) are not balanced with the posterior forces on the joint.

This is more heavily apparent in a low bar squat vs a high bar squat, the latter producing less hamstring involvement due to a more vertical back angle.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast