Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats page 6

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    This is complete nonsense.
    Why would someone who wants to get strong not do the best exercise for strength? It makes sense not to, in your mind?

I'm not discounting the squat, I'm saying it's not mandatory especially if it can't be performed correctly. Yes, squatting has outstanding CNS benefits, but who cares about that if you get injured because you can't do the exercise properly? There are plenty of effective replacements, especially for someone who is experiencing abnormal pain.
    There are no replacements for the squat that are as effective as the squat. Sure you can do leg presses, and lunges, and leg extensions, and whatever else, but none of it is nearly as effective as proper barbell squats.

Perhaps there are physical limitations and injuries that prevent this. I don't know, just a wild thought.
    If your leg is broken, should you try to walk around?

This is a pointless and obvious observation that can be said about everything in life. Arguing about squats is obviously in the context of someone's physical ability to perform them correctly.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    If your leg is broken, should you try to walk around?
    This is a pointless and obvious observation.

This is a pointless and obvious observation that can be said about everything in life. Arguing about squats is obviously in the context of someone's physical ability to perform them correctly.
    Yes, exactly. You'd be surprised at how many people push squatting no matter what the circumstances.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

This is a pointless and obvious observation.
    So you get the idea then. Good.

Yes, exactly. You'd be surprised at how many people push squatting no matter what the circumstances.
    I wouldn't be surprised because a lot of people do stupid things. Some intelligence is a prerequisite to ensure training safety.

TriathletePT is offline Junior Member
    If its a family thing, you may want to get an eval from an orthopedist or PT. you could have a tibial torsion or it could simply be that you have crepitus from arthritis on the back of your patella. Look up some videos for a terminal knee extension and use a good heavy band for resistance. Use that to warm up and get some good activation of your vmo specifically.

I wouldn't be surprised because a lot of people do stupid things. Some intelligence is a prerequisite to ensure training safety.
    Which is why I always make this point. I'm not trying to start an argument, but there are so many people that parrot "squats are king" without understanding the individual situation.

Which is why I always make this point. I'm not trying to start an argument, but there are so many people that parrot "squats are king" without understanding the individual situation.
    Squats are king. This is not a disputed fact. There is no other exercise that produces the same effects on the human body.

The individual situation here is that the OP's knees hurt. He does not know why, I've asked. Strengthening the muscles around a joint will make the joint healthier, provided the joint is functional. What's the best exercise to strengthen the knees?

There is no other exercise that produces the same effects on the human body.
    Agreed.

The individual situation here is that the OP's knees hurt. He does not know why, I've asked. Strengthening the muscles around a joint will make the joint healthier, provided the joint is functional. What's the best exercise to strengthen the knees?
    Why pile pain on top of pain?

Why pile pain on top of pain?
    Why not learn to do the best exercise for the joint properly and see if it helps cure it?

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I dislocated my knee when I was 17. It never really got better, and would hurt or "pop-out" all the time. I went 10 years with it in that state and was one of the reasons I was so sedentary. I started taking martial arts to help lose weight, and slowly but surely, the pain and "popping-out" went away. I used it, it got better.

Its always worth a shot.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast