Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats page 5

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    What would one do in place of squatting should my knee issue not resolve? I use weights at home and have no access to a gym.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    However, you have the bigots who speak of Rippetoe like he's the second coming
    Bigots? Dictionary much?

and say if you don't squat you're a pansy, so on and so forth.
    If you want to get strong, and you can squat, and you don't squat, you're either uninformed or a pussy.

No one has to squat. It's not some sort of magical exercise that makes the world go 'round.
    It is some sort of (practically) magical exercise. Nothing allows you to move as much weight over as great a range of motion involving as many joints and utilizing the amount of muscle mass as a full-ROM back squat. It has CNS effects that even the deadlift can't match. The squat zealots are right and you are wrong on this point.

to the OP: If you can't make the squat feel right, I'd recommend getting a qualified coach to try and help you get the mechanics down, since you won't post a form video. If you can't or won't take the steps necessary to perform the single most important exercise for strength development, you'll have to settle for second best. Not gonna sugar coat it.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

It is some sort of (practically) magical exercise. Nothing allows you to move as much weight over as great a range of motion involving as many joints and utilizing the amount of muscle mass as a full-ROM back squat. It has CNS effects that even the deadlift can't match. The squat zealots are right and you are wrong on this point.
    I thought this was universally accepted? that squats and deads (movements that recruit the most muscles) have the best effects on the body. One of which being testosterone production.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    I thought this was universally accepted? that squats and deads (movements that recruit the most muscles) have the best effects on the body. One of which being testosterone production.
    But squats, probably because of the fact that the barbell is held on your back, create a unique CNS response that even the deadlift can't match. But yeah, all of what you're saying is pretty well documented, in my opinion.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I love squatting anyway and really don't want to give it up. I will post anon like you suggested. I can feel a difference in my well being when I do them. Better than that, I feel kinda awesome :-)

Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    I love squatting anyway and really don't want to give it up. I will post anon like you suggested. I can feel a difference in my well being when I do them. Better than that, I feel kinda awesome :-)
    Fact: Squats build your muscle, bone density, mental toughness, and most importantly, awesome

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Bigots? Dictionary much?
    ?

If you want to get strong, and you can squat, and you don't squat, you're either uninformed or a pussy.
    This is complete nonsense.

I'm not discounting the squat, I'm saying it's not mandatory especially if it can't be performed correctly. Yes, squatting has outstanding CNS benefits, but who cares about that if you get injured because you can't do the exercise properly? There are plenty of effective replacements, especially for someone who is experiencing abnormal pain.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    I'm not discounting the squat, I'm sayin it's not mandatory especially if it can't be performed correctly. Yes, squatting has outstanding CNS benefits, but who cares about that if you get injured because you can't do the exercise properly? There are plenty of effective replacements, especially for someone who is experiencing abnormal pain.
    Learn to do it properly?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    To squat or not to squat – that is the question... The typical back-squat can be an excellent exercise, especially for those that have the right anatomy, but some people should not back-squat at all! And there are good alternatives to the back-squat, even to those that do not have access to a gym. Vince Gironda, the “Iron guru”, banned people from his famous gym that back-squatted, he did not like back-squatting at all! On the other extreme we find Rippetoe and his worshippers that say that everybody MUST squat, which is also beyond fundamentalism in my book…

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Learn to do it properly?
    Perhaps there are physical limitations and injuries that prevent this. I don't know, just a wild thought.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast