Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats page 3

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    What's actually wrong with your knees? Have you had a diagnosis?

If your knees are not quite good, but are functional, doing squats properly will help them. Read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, post a form check on the Starting Strength forums, and make sure your form is perfect.

What you definitely should not do is partial squats. This will only exacerbate your knee problems.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea what's wrong with them. If I squat without weights (body squat) at about 1/4 down (right before knee level they hurt. (right under the cap) Stairs hurt me a lot, as well as bikes. They had completely stopped hurting (I thought because I started squatting) i was so happy since we have stairs. The past week or so it has started up again and I'm just tired of it. It's primarily the right one, left one not so much.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Do you do a good amount of posterior chain work? Just speculating here, but there is some evidence that lack of glute function can affect patellofemoral pain (anterior knee pain, which is essentially what you have described).

Aside from being more knee-friendly due to maintaining a vertical tibia, posterior chain work such as deadlifts, hip thrusts, back extensions, etc. are very effective in preventing knee and lower back pain. Just a thought.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

I started doing Starting Strength. So that's deadlifts and squats for the PC. Besides that I have done nothing besides having kids for the last 15 yrs. After getting married I have been a stay at home mom. No small job, but not much in the way of taking care of me. I'm really out of shape.

What would be the appropriate amount of hip thrusts? What amount of weight to add to the bar when starting?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    What would be the appropriate amount of hip thrusts? What amount of weight to add to the bar when starting?
    Honestly, I would start with no weight at all, not even the bar. That's how important I think it is to get the movement right first. If you load it up right off the bat, you are likely to use some compensation (moving from the lumbar instead of your shoulders) that will negate any benefit and invite injury. Check out Bret's instructional video:
    Hip Thrust Instructional Video - YouTube

That makes sense.
    I thought squats and deadlifts were enough?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umm7 View Post
    That makes sense.
    I thought squats and deadlifts were enough?
    They can be in healthy individuals, but when you're dealing with pain, you have to take a more comprehensive approach. I don't buy into the Rippetoe cult laws that the three compound lifts are all you need. It's nonsense.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    They can be in healthy individuals, but when you're dealing with pain, you have to take a more comprehensive approach. I don't buy into the Rippetoe cult laws that the three compound lifts are all you need. It's nonsense.
    Well said jakejoh10! Now be prepared for a strike back from the Rippetoe cult, they burn heretic's like you at the stake, so be prepared...

miata is online now Senior Member
    I like to warm up with a bare bar and squat all the way down. Then I do leg presses half-way with a boatload of weight for two sets and finally two more sets of leg presses as far down as I can go with a lot less weight. That has really helped me with my cycling power. I would imagine the same logic applies to doing a combination of half and full squats.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast