Thread: Help with belly fat page

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member

Help with belly fat

Shop Now
    How do I get rid of belly fat! Everything else is tightening up, stomach area not as much as I like. I leave for vacation in 36 days and really hoping I can do something in those days to rid myself of some belly fat so I can spend a week in a bikini and feel a bit more comfortable in it!!

I'm female, 37. I lift 5x week. I do all the compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc.) Heavy & low reps 2x week (upper body and lower body split), 2x week I go a bit lighter with more reps (8-15x3). 1x week I do full body complex type workout with weights at even lower weight. I have been doing 2-3 30-min spin classes a week, where I get my sprint in and also some high resistance work. Weekends I hike, canoe, swim, or bike at a slow pace for a few hours.

My diet centers around meat, eggs, some veggies, few bananas or potatoes during the week and coconut oil and butter. I just eat when hungry until full (not 'dieting' or counting anything), and most days first meal around 1-2pm and 2nd around 6-7pm.

Been thinking I should cut out a few of the lighter lifting sessions and replace with more cardio? And maybe also cut out some of the fat (coconut oil in coffee, butter on steak, bacon!) for the next month and see if that helps.

For the most part I am really happy with how things are going. I've lost 25 lbs in last year (like to lose another 30-40), things are tightening up and I'm getting stronger and feel great! BUT....is there anything I can do in the next month to accelerate losing some stubborn belly fat?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    To get rid of stubborn bodyfat; reduce a bit on added oil/fat and maybe you can put in a sprint session for the week-end? Do not reduce weight training though, but some more volume and less heavy training can accelerate fat loss and make you more toned. Put the heavy compound work in the beginning of the workouts and try to shorten rest periods between sets making the second half of the training almost into a “weight cardio”. Aim to get resting periods down to 30 seconds or less, between sets of complex or dumbells/machines after a few weeks. You will bust your ass off after learning to train like that, and if you keep your diet in check then the stubborn belly fat will disappear for sure…

Seem like you are doing pretty good though...

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Totally just my own experience here, but I find that more cardio piles on the belly fat like nothing else. Stuff that helps me lean out abdominally are sprints, tabatas, short HIIT sessions, and lifting. Lighter barbell complexes also work great. This morning I did an AMRAP 7 minutes of bear complexes at 65#. Tomorrow I expect my belly area will feel firmer (based on past experience).

That's just me, though. Some people respond better to cardio. It just makes me fat. Heavy, hard, and short workouts are what slim me down. FTR I'm a 28yo female.

Carb cycling also works well for me. I cycle between 50g and 150g.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Less cardio! It triggers high cortisol in many women which inhibits fat loss. More gentle walking instead.

Dropping my carbs under 40 gm/day allowed me to drop a lot of water weight and my belly is noticeably flatter, even though I've only dropped a few pounds in 3 weeks.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I had a feeling I wouldn't get many "yes, more cardio" responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    To get rid of stubborn bodyfat; reduce a bit on added oil/fat and maybe you can put in a sprint session for the week-end? Do not reduce weight training though, but some more volume and less heavy training can accelerate fat loss and make you more toned. Put the heavy compound work in the beginning of the workouts and try to shorten rest periods between sets making the second half of the training almost into a “weight cardio”. Aim to get resting periods down to 30 seconds or less, between sets of complex or dumbells/machines after a few weeks. You will bust your ass off after learning to train like that, and if you keep your diet in check then the stubborn belly fat will disappear for sure…

Seem like you are doing pretty good though...
    Thanks for the advice, Gorbag. I will give the higher intensity weightlifting a try.

I do feel like I am doing pretty good and really feel no need to switch things up long run. What I'm doing is working for me. But if I can do something in next 30 days for a "quick fix" I want to do it. Vacation and bikinis will do that to a girl...

As far as the cardio responses:

I don't feel like I do ANY cardio right now. I do the spin classes, but I seriously am either doing sprints, or turn the resistance to the max and barely peddling. Yes, I'm that girl that's not following class AT ALL! LOL Whatever, my workout. And total of that is only 90 minutes a week at most. No steady-state cardio here. I don't do anything close to jog or ever even stepped a foot on an elliptical. So ever so often I wonder if that's the missing link. I doubt I would ever do it past the 30 days of my "quick fix" I'm looking for, simply because cardio sucks.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I had a feeling I wouldn't get many "yes, more cardio" responses.

Thanks for the advice, Gorbag. I will give the higher intensity weightlifting a try.

I do feel like I am doing pretty good and really feel no need to switch things up long run. What I'm doing is working for me. But if I can do something in next 30 days for a "quick fix" I want to do it. Vacation and bikinis will do that to a girl...
    If you are seeing good results, then there is no reason to change too much of what you are doing! I am also training with weights 5 days a week - well, I tried to change to 6 days a week, but so far I continue with my old 5 days a week routine. But I am doing much more volume, and even if I am not keeping a strict diet I can see lots of changes in body-composition those days. In the routine I have done for the last weeks I am doing a little less barbell compounds and more dumbbell/machines. The heaviest work I put in the beginning and I start out with generous rest between sets and when the workout proceed everything goes faster and faster, and when I finish I have almost no rest at all between the sets. I also use plenty of super-sets, tri-sets and giant-sets usually between an agonist and an antagonist movement...