Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Health Markers? page

skline2 is offline Senior Member

Top 5 Health Markers?

Shop Now
    I own a family business and am in charge of our health care plan. We are looking to start a wellness program that will allow employees to pay lower premiums if they hit certain goals. I don't what them to be standard ones, like cholesterol level, that many companies use because that isn't an effective measure of anything.

So, what would you recommend for five measures to monitor that would improve the health of our employees?

I'm thinking we will use blood sugar level and waist circumference as two of them.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Crp

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Does any company tie cholesterol level to premium cost? I don't think that is one of the legally accepted items, which are extremely limited- weigh and smoking status are the only ones I know of that are used for premium levels. Most wellness programs pay bribes, because there are no limits on that except perhaps the federally protected classes, and the bribes are for behaviors (getting the blood sugar test, not having a certain result) rather than states of being to make doubly sure they don't end up in a law suit.

But I'm not completely clear on how that may be affected by state law, so perhaps your state is different?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I would be pretty offended if my employer wanted to measure my waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I would be pretty offended if my employer wanted to measure my waist.
    CVS recently required all employees to provide their weight information to their employer or pay $600/yr. Not just have the evaluation like most wellness programs do, but provide the information to the company. I'm not sure how it is legal for an employer to demand medical information... It seems a very big overreach to me.

CVS Pharmacy Asks Employees to Weigh in or Pay Fine | Video | TheBlaze.com

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skline2 View Post
    I own a family business and am in charge of our health care plan. We are looking to start a wellness program that will allow employees to pay lower premiums if they hit certain goals. I don't what them to be standard ones, like cholesterol level, that many companies use because that isn't an effective measure of anything.

So, what would you recommend for five measures to monitor that would improve the health of our employees?

I'm thinking we will use blood sugar level and waist circumference as two of them.
    Get-Up-From-The-Floor Test

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    See this interests me a lot... It is a great test for health, but it wouldn't be a test a business owner would want the results from. Think of all the employees who have not put themselves in a protected class who would if they had something riding on this test result- people with fibromyalgia, MS and other autoimmune conditions that affect mobility in a way they were otherwise able to cover up at work, for example. Now as a business owner you've shot yourself in the foot. In more ways than one, because talent that didn't want to out themselves as disabled wouldn't work at your company.

I'm pretty sure the employee isn't giving me the data. It's going to the third party who is administering the wellness program.

Many wellness programs are moving from doing things (going to a meeting on diabetes or exercise), which have virtually no impact on reducing costs, to objective measurements that can be linked to reduced usage/cost of the healthcare plan. I want our plan set up such that you aren't told what to do (eat SAD, low-fat, due excessive cardio) but told what metrics you need to hit (fasting glucose level, waist cirumference, etc.). I want my employees to do what makes them healthy, which can vary from person to person.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You could provide lunches on the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast