Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me use these items to make something tasty! page

hbeck is offline Senior Member

Help me use these items to make something tasty!

Shop Now
    So, I'm a decent cook, but since going Primal I've been trying to expand my use of veggies and other foods. Going well for the most part with a couple bad experiments, but mostly just new to some stuff and have no idea what to do with it!

Tonight I'm doing pork ribs with an awesome dry rub. What I need some help with is to make tasty veggies to go along with it. Don't need to use everything, but I'm feeling particularly un-creative today so would appreciate some inspiration!

Supplies:
    1 Large Tomato
    container of grape tomatoes
    Sugar snap peas
    Zucchini squash (4 medium small ones)
    1 Large eggplant (this thing is huge)
    Tons of broccoli
    1 head of cauliflower
    1 bunch of green leaf lettuce
    2 large green bell peppers
    1 bunch of asparagus (dunno...20 stalks?)
    4 small carrots (plus some bagged frozen ones already chopped up)
    1 red onion
    1/3 of a white onion
    2 avocados
    ===========================

I have a neat sauce made from some goat cheese that I was thinking would go well over mashed cauliflower, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by hbeck; 05-24-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    How about making a tomato sauce of all the tomatoes (simply put them in the blender) and simmer the sauce with garlic and onions if you have them. Sautee the bell peppers and add to the sauce. Slice the eggplant into quarter inch rounds, lightly brush with olive oil, and broil for about 8 minutes or until they're slightly brown. Then layer the eggplant slices in a baking dish alternately with the tomato sauce and the goat cheese. You could also add layers of sliced, boiled carrots and the zucchini (prepare like the eggplant) if you are so inclined. Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 until everything is bubbly.

The other veggies sound like they'd make a nice crunchy salad. I love to blanch asparagus and then chop into one inch pieces and add to a salad. Or, just save the other veggies for a stir fry.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Cauliflower popcorn.

Cut into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with some spices (curry powder is freaking awesome) and bake in the oven till crispy.

Asparagus......drizzle with olive oil and bake or grill on the BBQ

Zuchinni.....mmmm....so many options. Slice with a bunch of other veggies (onions, green peppers) and stirfry. Slice into 1inch thick rounds, or long strips and grill on the BBQ (coat with oil, sprinkle with herbs)

See, I'd also make a nice greek style salad too. Chunk the green pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber (if you have onion and cuke), blend with some olive oil, greek blend of spices and a touch of lemon, blend in some feta cheese and yum.

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Mmm yeah grilled asparagus was tasty last time I did that!

Good ideas so far

I do have one red onion and 1/3 of a white one, forgot about those. No fresh garlic (have diced or powder in spice rack) or cucumber though.

edit: Oh man I forgot I bought 2 avocados!
    Remembering all the veggies you have is harder when there's so many :P

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Blanch broccoli, asparagus and green beans. Saute those in butter with tomato, bell, garlic and onions (if you have it.) Put in a bowl and toss with olive oil, black pepper and mozzarella or goat cheese. serve still warm over lettuce or under pork.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    How about a slaw from the cauliflower and broccoli? Either chop finely or put through a shredding blade of a food processor. For a dressing, mix homemade mayo, some milk or cream, and some vinegar with some salt and pepper. Get it to the right consistency and serve.

Or bake the two veggies with cream and perhaps some cheese for a veggie gratin.

Use the tomatoes, eggplant, onions, carrots and maybe some bell pepper to make a caponata-like dish. This can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature. You can eat in on lettuce (belgian endive leaves would be great), or you can cook chicken with the sauce.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    Combine as much of the following in a roasting pan. Cut larger veggies to similar sizes. Lubricate with your favorite fat (olive oil/coconut oil /bacon grease). Sprinkle with salt/pepper/favorite seasonings. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 mins.

grape tomatoes
    sugar snap peas
    zucchini
    eggplant
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    peppers
    asparagus
    carrots
    onions

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable lasagne!!!!

Use your goats cheese sauce instead of regular cheese sauce and use zuchinni strips instead of pasta. Cook up other veg in tomato sauce to make filling

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Baked ratatouille. Cut up all veggies (include large tomato but not grape tomato), except grape tomatoes, lettuce and avocado. Toss with liberal amounts of olive oil, sea salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Place in a big baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour, stirring once or twice.

Serve the lettuce avocado and grape tomato in a salad.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Stuffed zucchini, using tomato and peppers and onions as the filling (with whatever Italian-ish seasonings you have on hand). Here's a recipe to give you an idea of the technique even though it uses different ingredients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast