Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 day fast (Unintentional) page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

7 day fast (Unintentional)

Primal Fuel
    I got sick a few weeks back and couldn't eat. I had all I could do just to gag down a glass of juice. I was consuming little to no calories on a daily basis for what seemed to be about a week.

The results? I was around 170 lbs at the start, hit a dehydrated 155 lbs part way through it before I started drinking gatorade, and now that I'm better and eating my top weight is around 165 lbs. So I lost a good 5 lbs of fat, lost an inch off my waist, and my belly is now flat.

From my experience I am convinced that fasting works phenomenally well at dropping the fat, and our bodies are meant to do it if we have to. But also, it's good to have a few extra lbs of fat on your body in case you need it like I did. I'm just talking maybe 5 extra lbs, so for a guy for example, it'd be better to be say 6% body fat instead of 3%.

Also, for guys, you'll probably have to be a lot lighter than you think if you want to see your abs. For me for example, I've been lifting my entire life and I'm thinking I probably still have to lose another 5 lbs of fat if I want to see my abs more clearly.

Mind you I'm not lifting as hard as I was back when I was competing in strength sports, but even if I was I just don't think I'd be weighing that much more. Maybe 5 more lbs if I was working brutally hard, and lucky.
    Last edited by Ripped; 06-28-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Did you lose much muscle mass along with the fat?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Are you fat adapted? If so, it would have been much easier for you to lose that amount of fat, while a non fat adapted person would go through a terrible period of low energy, lethargy etc before starting to burn fat.

I'm also concerned about the loss of muscle, cos I'm an athlete myself and im sure losing some fat would improve performance, but I cant afford to lose muscle. If fasting for a week or maybe a few days could help lose fat, I wouldn't mind trying!

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    I hesitate to call it a fast since 7 days without food is a long time. here's some interesting reading on the starvation response, courtesy of wikipedia: Starvation response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'd think being ill and laid up in bed for a week is quite different to being an active human engaging in structured fasting.

On a related note, would anyone else think that when on a caloric restriction, the appearence of muscle loss is just because you're dropping fat? For example, your arms may look smaller but thats because the surrounding fat tissue is being used..

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I don't know, calorie restriction people have disgusting cancer arms, I can't look at them. They are mostly just bone.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Did you lose much muscle mass along with the fat?
    I don't measure, but I highly doubt it. I used to weigh 220 lbs. And of the weight lost, I contribute 35 of those lbs to intermittent fasting as well as occasional longer fasts such as 2-4 days. And my experience has shown that I always end up peaking in strength at about the same level even at a lighter weight, and even after I've done multi-day fasts.

Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    Are you fat adapted? If so, it would have been much easier for you to lose that amount of fat, while a non fat adapted person would go through a terrible period of low energy, lethargy etc before starting to burn fat.
    No, I eat what ever I want. And it wouldn't have mattered anyways, because I was so sick. I had dengue fever, and that gives you a fever, makes your entire body (muscle and bones) ache, lowers your platelets in your blood and white blood cells, and pretty much leaves you sick in bed for 7-10 days. And you can't eat while you have it either, it really messes you up. It makes it so anything you put in your mouth tastes like chalk and napkins.

Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    I'm also concerned about the loss of muscle, cos I'm an athlete myself and im sure losing some fat would improve performance, but I cant afford to lose muscle. If fasting for a week or maybe a few days could help lose fat, I wouldn't mind trying!
    Like I said, if you're sick you're pretty much in big trouble anyways. I didn't purposely do that fast. I just couldn't eat. That's why I actually started getting nervous towards the end, because I didn't know how much fat I had left. That is besides the fact that my blood was messed up and I'm lucky not to have had to get a blood transfusion.

However, I have purposely done 4 day fasts before, and what I can tell you is that it's never been a problem. You do get low in energy after a few days of fasting. So clearly performance will suffer temporarily during your fast. But in my experience I always came back stronger after the fast. I still can't figure out why that is. But what I can tell you is that muscle loss has never been an issue. Considering the fact that I used to be obese and now I'm thin, I can honestly say that fasting has only done me good.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am with you, completely. Barring extraordinary circumstances, a fast here and there is awesome. Sometimes your body does it for you, as in your illness, and sometimes one does it intentionally, but I think it would benefit most.

Glad you are no longer sick! That is the more uncomfortable way to get one done.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    On a related note, would anyone else think that when on a caloric restriction, the appearence of muscle loss is just because you're dropping fat? For example, your arms may look smaller but thats because the surrounding fat tissue is being used..
    Absolutely.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I am with you, completely. Barring extraordinary circumstances, a fast here and there is awesome. Sometimes your body does it for you, as in your illness, and sometimes one does it intentionally, but I think it would benefit most.

Glad you are no longer sick! That is the more uncomfortable way to get one done.
    Thank goodness!!! Dengue fever sucks!!! That's another lesson. If you go to areas where they have dengue and malaria, don't get bit by mosquitos!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast