Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 7 day fast (Unintentional) page 4

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    Okay, I'll keep that In mind. Thanks!!

Usually on off days ill probably eat less than 50g of carbs, when I lift/train/do sprints I average around 50-100g per day. I kinda found my balance there. I seldom go above 100g, purely because I don't really like to eat carbs that much (fat reigns!) and I don't need it. I'm trying to stay in the fat adapted zone(which has a plethora of benefits) so I don't go crazy with the rice and potatoes, only take them post workout and maybe pre workout when I don't plan to do It fasted.

Thanks again for all the help!
    cthy - Hi there, I've read through the thread and am wondering what type of athlete you are. I am a high level athlete and have experimented with a lot of different variations of paleo/primal/fasting/carb amount, etc. If you are training at a very high level I would not recommend extended fasting or any type of low/moderate carb amounts. It's hard not to get sucked into the "trends" on the forum, but an athlete has significantly different needs than 98% of the people posting on the forums.

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Vb66- I'm a canoe-sprint athlete. During normal water trainings we do moderate to high intensity sprints (paddling) of either 200m, 500m and 1000m, ranging from 5-10 sets. I know I require carbs for these sessions, so I'll eat them before I train. On top of that, we also have 2-3 lifting sessions a week, 1 short distance (high intensity) run of about 5km and a long dist run for about 10-12km (yes I know, chronic cardio, but I can't opt out cos the whole team is training to participate in a half marathon). During the long runs I can rely mainly on fat for fuel, so I don't see the need to carb up before that. I'll usually do It fasted since its in the morning.

I'm only fasting these few days because training has paused due to bad weather, i don't think I can continue with even IF when training resumes because the volume and intensity is too high.

Anyhow, thanks for your concern!

[btw, I've heard of high level athletes doing very well with low carb, how does that work out then?]

Oh and to add on, my sport emphasizes a lot on strength/power to weight ratio, so it is highly ideal for me to get to a low body fat level (still at healthy levels of course) as it would help improve my performance (I.e. speed), that's why I'm trying out low carb/fasting. I've been on less than 100g per day since th beginning of this year, and I feel perfectly fine.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    On top of that, we also have 2-3 lifting sessions a week, 1 short distance (high intensity) run of about 5km and a long dist run for about 10-12km (yes I know, chronic cardio, but I can't opt out cos the whole team is training to participate in a half marathon).
    I wouldn't say that a couple of runs per week = chronic cardio, but I do wonder what benefit you as a sprint athlete get from the long distance runs?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

The distance runs are only for a month or 2, because it's kinda like a tradition for the team to participate in a one-off half marathon once a year. The mid distance high intensity runs are supposed to help build up our stamina for longer events such as 1000m, which isn't exactly a sprint all the way.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    cthy,
    I think it sounds to me like you know what you're doing pretty well. It seems you're smart enough to figure out a lot of this stuff on your own, experiment, etc..

I also agree that a few long distance runs isn't going to hurt you. When you do the math, it equates to "moving frequently at a slow pace", not chronic cardio.

I think it is good that you are learning about diet at such a young age. Personally, I never had to worry about it when I was in my late teens and early 20's because I was doing construction work and could eat as much as I wanted and not gain weight. When I got out of it and went to college, that all changed. Over a life time as decades go by, it's easy for weight to creep up on you eventually, so you've got to develop a strategy unique to you and your situation. I know a lot of older folks who have done that.

There are also a lot of folks who go through the years getting fatter and fatter. And from my experience, I am convinced that the only people who fail like that in the long run are the people who don't try. I used to be like that. I was obese for a few years and didn't do anything about it. Once I finally made up my mind to try, I continued to improve year after year and I never looked back.

How many times do you hear people say you can't do this and you can't do that, otherwise you'll gain the weight back again, yada yada, etc.? I let it go in one ear and out the other. I don't let it affect me. No matter how I lost the weight, I can always keep it because I'm always striving to improve.

Now I'm lucky because all I've got to do is fight to stay strong, and try from time to time just to get a little bit leaner.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I found the MDA website end last year, it was like a godsend. I had been trying to lose fat before that following the infamous low fat, whole grains diet, but I was starving the whole time and there were no results to show, despite my perseverance. Now I'm just glad I know what's the best diet for my body! The information came later than I'd like, but its definitely not too late.

Different things work for different people, so I just had to try it out to know. And I've never regretted since. I'm still trying to get the hang of balancing it with my exercise routine, but I'm sure things will work out in the end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234