Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 day fast (Unintentional) page 3

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    Hmm okay, thanks for the advice haha eating disorders definitely aren't gonna happen to me!
    I'm sure you won't. At least you're learning now at a young age.

Most people in industrialized societies get too heavy. And after conquering obesity myself, it's easy for me to see why. You get used to seeing fat people all over, so it just seems normal. When I was 220 lbs, nobody told me I was fat, so I had no clue, and that's why I stayed that way for a few years. I figured it out eventually, a much better weight for me is under 170 lbs.

I'll try to fit in my 2-4 day fasts during the weekends, as that's when I don't have trainings. I'll experiment on myself and see if it works. Thanks!
    That's how a lot of this stuff works. It's all about self experimentation. Personally I only do stuff like that when I think I can. And what I've found is that I really can't seem to do it as much the leaner I get. When I was fatter, there clearly was a need for me to lose as much as I could as fast as I could. But now days it's mostly about maintenance along with ocasional spurts of fat loss. I've gotten leaner every year that way. My goal is to stay strong and lose more weight so I can eventually see my abs better.

I'm still trying to get my family to understand what I'm doing, and join me on it. I'm sure they've noticed my sustained higher energy levels, lack of need to eat 'frequent small meals' as CW suggests, etc. but it's hard to get them to switch over as they've been eating their normal diets for years. They aren't overweight per se, but a paleo lifestyle is definitely gonna benefit them. I guess I'll just keep trying!
    Fasting has been the best discovery for me when it came to improving my weight and overall health. It was key in getting the rest of my fat off and keeping it off for life. Years ago I was clueless how to do that. Now days I am no longer in the dark.

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Totally agree with you on fasting! It has helped me control my appetite and get leaner without much effort. It also reduced the need for me to eat copious amounts of protein to build muscle, as my body can now utilize protein more efficiently. I used to eat 110-150 a day, now I only need about 70-90, maybe a bit more if I lift on that day.

Just curious, what is your exercise schedule and diet (macros) like? I would like to build muscle and lose fat (if that's possible?)

Just curious, what is your exercise schedule and diet (macros) like? I would like to build muscle and lose fat (if that's possible?)
    Mind you my priorities are a lot different than they were years ago. I am no longer a skinny kid hungry to gain muscle fast, nor am I competing in any strength sports. My goals are only to stay strong and improve leanness. But I also want a life outside of the gym, so I need a plan that's flexible.

So for workouts I only do two weight training sessions per week. If I were competing, I'd probably do the same thing. If 2 workouts per week was good enough for Arthur Saxon (who was the strongest man in the world about 100 years ago), then it's good enough for me.

I also like to do A LOT of walking. I'm a big believer in getting plenty of activity outside of the gym in every day life.

For diet, I pretty much eat what ever I want. But I am flexible. So if I start to see myself gain weight, I'll clean up my diet for a while and cut back on anything extra that I don't need, or I'll even try to keep myself busy so I can skip meals. Usually I skip breakfast and eat 2 meals per day in the afternoon.

Now concerning diet, according to how a lot of people think about diet, I should be ashamed of myself. But I'm not, because what I do works for me. I'm not clueless or afraid about food anymore like I was years ago. I see no need to obsess over macros or food types. I balance things out and that's what keeps me lean and improving year after year.

Wow just 2 workouts a week? Now that's something new. What are the lifts and rep/sets you do for each workout? I'm assuming they're really intense so that you can get the most out of each workout?

If I could workout efficiently and get results from 2, it would really help me to save time and increase efficiency.

It's quite refreshing to see someone here who doesn't really obsess over diet! 😝 But for myself, I know what my body likes and doesn't like, and my schedule is quite hectic, so I can't afford to eat something bad and cause me to feel uncomfortable the next day as it would affect my productivity.

Wow just 2 workouts a week? Now that's something new. What are the lifts and rep/sets you do for each workout? I'm assuming they're really intense so that you can get the most out of each workout?
    It's changed over the years. But what's been common over the last year is 5x5 with basic movements. It depends on how much time I have, how I feel, what equipment is available, etc.. Sometimes I'll just do a few basic movements such as squats, bench press, and cleans. Other times I'll include strongman events such as farmers walk, and I'll even include assistance exercises such as arm and calf work.

And yes, the workouts are intense. But what I have found to work better while cutting is to start off light and peak over several weeks. You can't gain forever. So that's just what works better in the long term. You've got to pace yourself if you want to keep working out week after week year after year for decades.

It's quite refreshing to see someone here who doesn't really obsess over diet! �� But for myself, I know what my body likes and doesn't like, and my schedule is quite hectic, so I can't afford to eat something bad and cause me to feel uncomfortable the next day as it would affect my productivity.
    When you take quantity and context into account, you can then look at the big picture. People always blame this food or that food on why they are fat, when in reality they'd lose weight and improve their health if they simply just ate less of all of it. It's either eating or not eating. While many people can do well with a lot of sugar in their diet, there are also many who don't, and clearly there's a simple remedy. If it isn't hurting you, then who cares. If you're showing symptoms of diabetes, do a PSMF for several weeks and then cut down on the sugar. It really is that simple. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

When I was on a high carb, low fat CW diet and trying to lose weight, I was hungry all the time and the weight stayed. I was working out (running, lifting weights) every day, and after some period of time I overtrained and my body couldn't take it. After I went paleo and cut sugar and grains, my stamina improved, recovery and muscle growth improved, and have high energy levels throughout the day without hunger pangs. So I know this is the best diet for my body.

I guess I'm at a different stage from you in terms of lifting weights, I still have a long way to go and not just maintain like you do. I've always had the dilemma of whether to eat more to gain muscle or to eat less to lose fat. Must I really go the cutting/bulking route?

Thanks for everything you've said, I really appreciate it!!

When I was on a high carb, low fat CW diet and trying to lose weight, I was hungry all the time and the weight stayed. I was working out (running, lifting weights) every day, and after some period of time I overtrained and my body couldn't take it. After I went paleo and cut sugar and grains, my stamina improved, recovery and muscle growth improved, and have high energy levels throughout the day without hunger pangs. So I know this is the best diet for my body.
    Like I said, it's all about context. When your calories are low, so are your carbs. I actually had a time when I wanted to drop 10 lbs quick, while I was working 10 hour shifts at a desk job and driving an hour back and fourth to work. The solution? I had to go low on everything for about 6 weeks. Each meal was a few meat patties and A LOT of vegetables, and after my last meal that was it.

I guess I'm at a different stage from you in terms of lifting weights, I still have a long way to go and not just maintain like you do. I've always had the dilemma of whether to eat more to gain muscle or to eat less to lose fat. Must I really go the cutting/bulking route?

Thanks for everything you've said, I really appreciate it!!
    Absolutely not!!! That will only make you fat. That was the biggest mistake I ever made. Work hard, stay strong, and stay lean. That's the best way to do it. All of the thinner guys I knew who did it that way, they always got strong. It takes longer that way, but in the long run you save time. Why? Because you never have to back track by cutting. When you cut, you lose strength.

So you're saying I just have to focus on gaining muscle slowly and limit fat gain as much as possible, then maybe fast a little here and there to keep the fat off and stay lean? Also, is it possible to eat a low-ish carb diet and lift heavy regularly? Because I know that I can keep fat off with low carb, but sometimes my lifts will be weak. How do I reconcile my carb intake?

So you're saying I just have to focus on gaining muscle slowly and limit fat gain as much as possible, then maybe fast a little here and there to keep the fat off and stay lean?
    Yes. You'll only be able to gain so much muscle naturally anyways. So just do what you've got to do to stay strong.

Also, is it possible to eat a low-ish carb diet and lift heavy regularly? Because I know that I can keep fat off with low carb, but sometimes my lifts will be weak. How do I reconcile my carb intake?
    It is possible, depending on your activities. If you're doing any sort of endurance activities such as crossfit or strongman events, forget it. You need carbs for such activities.

However, I would argue that it isn't necessary to go that low in carbs anyways. Unless there's a specific reason why you need to stay low in carbs, for example if you've had symptoms of diabedes, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Also, primal foods or not, you aren't going to go too high in carbs anyways unless you're drinking your calories and eating junk food. Even typical bodybuilder diets with lots of oats and rice are typically reasonably low in carbs. For example, try two servings of oatmeal and three cups of rice and you're hitting around the 150 gram mark. And that's A LOT of volume of food!!!

Okay, I'll keep that In mind. Thanks!!

Usually on off days ill probably eat less than 50g of carbs, when I lift/train/do sprints I average around 50-100g per day. I kinda found my balance there. I seldom go above 100g, purely because I don't really like to eat carbs that much (fat reigns!) and I don't need it. I'm trying to stay in the fat adapted zone(which has a plethora of benefits) so I don't go crazy with the rice and potatoes, only take them post workout and maybe pre workout when I don't plan to do It fasted.

Thanks again for all the help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast