Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 day fast (Unintentional) page 2

cthy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ripped: that's great news! I think I'll try fasting for longer periods of time, since its the off-season now. My current 'record' is only 24h (pathetic, I know), I'll see if I can get it up to 2 or 3 days. I've been doing IF on-and-off, so I hope it would be easier for me to transition. Do you get major hunger pangs when you do your 2-4 day fasts?

I'm currently a student, so it would be interesting to see how IF affects my attention, alertness etc.

Thanks for the info!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cthy View Post
    Ripped: that's great news! I think I'll try fasting for longer periods of time, since its the off-season now. My current 'record' is only 24h (pathetic, I know), I'll see if I can get it up to 2 or 3 days. I've been doing IF on-and-off, so I hope it would be easier for me to transition.
    I've only gone up to 4 days a few times. You literally only can lose a few lbs (1 kg) that way. That's not much if you've got a lot to lose. But in the case with someone who is already reasonably lean, it's definitely enough to see a noticeable difference. I just like it to help out once in a great while. And in my opinion, it certainly beats cutting calories every day for several weeks.

Do you get major hunger pangs when you do your 2-4 day fasts?
    Never. I don't get hungry at all when I do it. It's easy. The only thing is, I'd start to dream of yummy food and enjoying a good meal with a friend and missing the experience after a handful of days.

I would expect the story to be different for someone who is already skinny with little fat left. My best friend is skinny and he says his stomach hurts if he fasts for too long, which for him I think is a good 24 hours or so. But if you've got plenty of extra fat, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm currently a student, so it would be interesting to see how IF affects my attention, alertness etc.
    When I was in college I used to think I had to eat all the time. I was kind of fat.

But I did have a friend who used to eat less before a test. He believed it helped him concentrate better. His grades were phenomenal. But I think that was just a coincidence.

Personally I don't think it would make a difference at all, unless eating makes you sluggish. You could skip breakfast before a test.

If I had it to do all over again, that's how I would do it. It certainly beats being a fat pig any day of the week. I'd much rather be and stay lean for life.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Most people who can't eat because they are sick gain the weight back on quickly. It's just a normal response when you're able to eat again. Many dieters are seriously disappointed to find that weight loss during an illness can't be followed up by a diet that will maintain the loss or continue losing. I would think it would take strong willpower to overcome that.

diene is offline Senior Member
    You should have placed whatever pathogens you were afflicted with in bottles and sold them on the internet as weight-loss supps. I would have bought some from you--haha!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Slightly off-topic PSA: Dengue fever is no joke. If you are infected again with one of the other three strains it can be deadly. Especially if you are in a remote area without access to first-class medical care:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Most people who can't eat because they are sick gain the weight back on quickly. It's just a normal response when you're able to eat again. Many dieters are seriously disappointed to find that weight loss during an illness can't be followed up by a diet that will maintain the loss or continue losing. I would think it would take strong willpower to overcome that.
    Most dieters fail anyways because they are gluttons to begin with. I guess by definition, learn effective ways how to maintain and lose, and the rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    I've only gone up to 4 days a few times. You literally only can lose a few lbs (1 kg) that way. That's not much if you've got a lot to lose. But in the case with someone who is already reasonably lean, it's definitely enough to see a noticeable difference. I just like it to help out once in a great while. And in my opinion, it certainly beats cutting calories every day for several weeks.

Never. I don't get hungry at all when I do it. It's easy. The only thing is, I'd start to dream of yummy food and enjoying a good meal with a friend and missing the experience after a handful of days.

I would expect the story to be different for someone who is already skinny with little fat left. My best friend is skinny and he says his stomach hurts if he fasts for too long, which for him I think is a good 24 hours or so. But if you've got plenty of extra fat, it shouldn't be a problem.

When I was in college I used to think I had to eat all the time. I was kind of fat.

But I did have a friend who used to eat less before a test. He believed it helped him concentrate better. His grades were phenomenal up . But I think that was just a coincidence.

Personally I don't think it would make a difference at all, unless eating makes you sluggish. You could skip breakfast before a test.

If I had it to do all over again, that's how I would do it. It certainly beats being a fat pig any day of the week. I'd much rather be and stay lean for life.
    I don't exactly have a lot of excess body fat to lose, I'm about 20% BF (18 years old female btw), but definitely would help if I could lose some. I think I'm quite fat adapted (I don't take ketone tests) cos I didn't feel tired/lethargic when I fasted and could still do some lifts and sprints.

1kg fat loss in 4 days is quite substantial! Did you do any exercise at all during your fasts? curious to know cos I'll still have to train if I choose toast for longer periods of time.

I don't exactly have a lot of excess body fat to lose, I'm about 20% BF (18 years old female btw), but definitely would help if I could lose some. I think I'm quite fat adapted (I don't take ketone tests) cos I didn't feel tired/lethargic when I fasted and could still do some lifts and sprints.
    You are young. Just know what is healthy for you. From what I have seen, a lot of eating disorders stem from people not having a clue what is a healthy weight for themselves. I do think 20% is pretty good for a female, although you could easily go lower without any trouble.

1kg fat loss in 4 days is quite substantial!
    On a leaner person it is. When I was fatter/obese, I HAD to diet for several weeks or more just to drop 10 lbs once in a while. But now being leaner, such simply isn't necessary. Instead, I'll just eat less for a few weeks in order to drop say 1 kg or so once in a while. Yup, it's MUCH easier already being lean!!!

Did you do any exercise at all during your fasts? curious to know cos I'll still have to train if I choose toast for longer periods of time.
    I always do, but not if I do a longer fast. Those you only want to do a few times per year anyways. Save it for a time when you have a lot of alone time and when you don't have much to do. Eat and enjoy when you are with friends and family.

Here's one way to look at it. Most of the year you train hard and so your performance is good. If you fast a few times per year when you get a chance when you aren't doing anything, it isn't going to hurt you. All it's going to do is drop a few extra lbs of fat. And if anything, I think that's better for performance because you won't have to diet during times when you want to perform your best.

Hmm okay, thanks for the advice haha eating disorders definitely aren't gonna happen to me! I've been paleo for 6-7 months, loading up on fat, protein and veg and carbs around training when needed! I even pack lunch boxes of meat and veg to school; some of my classmates think I'm a health freak of some sort, but that's perfectly fine with me

I'll try to fit in my 2-4 day fasts during the weekends, as that's when I don't have trainings. I'll experiment on myself and see if it works. Thanks!

I'm still trying to get my family to understand what I'm doing, and join me on it. I'm sure they've noticed my sustained higher energy levels, lack of need to eat 'frequent small meals' as CW suggests, etc. but it's hard to get them to switch over as they've been eating their normal diets for years. They aren't overweight per se, but a paleo lifestyle is definitely gonna benefit them. I guess I'll just keep trying!

Hmm okay, thanks for the advice haha eating disorders definitely aren't gonna happen to me!
    I'm sure you won't. At least you're learning now at a young age.

Most people in industrialized societies get too heavy. And after conquering obesity myself, it's easy for me to see why. You get used to seeing fat people all over, so it just seems normal. When I was 220 lbs, nobody told me I was fat, so I had no clue, and that's why I stayed that way for a few years. I figured it out eventually, a much better weight for me is under 170 lbs.

I'll try to fit in my 2-4 day fasts during the weekends, as that's when I don't have trainings. I'll experiment on myself and see if it works. Thanks!
    That's how a lot of this stuff works. It's all about self experimentation. Personally I only do stuff like that when I think I can. And what I've found is that I really can't seem to do it as much the leaner I get. When I was fatter, there clearly was a need for me to lose as much as I could as fast as I could. But now days it's mostly about maintenance along with ocasional spurts of fat loss. I've gotten leaner every year that way. My goal is to stay strong and lose more weight so I can eventually see my abs better.

I'm still trying to get my family to understand what I'm doing, and join me on it. I'm sure they've noticed my sustained higher energy levels, lack of need to eat 'frequent small meals' as CW suggests, etc. but it's hard to get them to switch over as they've been eating their normal diets for years. They aren't overweight per se, but a paleo lifestyle is definitely gonna benefit them. I guess I'll just keep trying!
    Fasting has been the best discovery for me when it came to improving my weight and overall health. It was key in getting the rest of my fat off and keeping it off for life. Years ago I was clueless how to do that. Now days I am no longer in the dark.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast