Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon questions! page 2

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Nitrates are organic compounds known to cause cancer. I'm not sure what study that article thought was discredited, other studies compare cancer rates in similar US cities with different nitrate amounts in the drinking water and find different rates of cancer correlated with those levels. This is why people are apoplectic over the Beijing drinking water--nitrate levels-- and why in the USA filtering your water is generally recommended- we allow what I would characterize as fairly high nitrate levels in municipal water supplies (and then we allow it not to be disclosed- cities can choose to disclose the percentage they remove instead of disclosing the actual amount, my city does that).

I eat cured bacon. And I drink water straight from the tap. For that matter I eat huge mounds of beautiful fluffy chocolate cake made of wheat. But I don't make a daily habit of any of those things.
    lol, love that cake too! But I have managed to only cave in to it every now and then since going primal.....again, as in many things, sounds like moderation is the key......but I could really make bacon a staple of my diet if I didn't think I was doing any harm.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think the nitrate/nitrite issue depends. I know a lot of people that do just fine eating bacon. Maybe they go overboard when they first find out it's not banned and eat a pound a day, but tons of ANY single food gets old and you eventually start foraging for other foods to add in.

I can't eat it. You can tell me all day that there are more nitrites in my spit, but I still get a migraine when I eat foods with sodium nitrite and I don't just swallowing my spit. That aso includes meat processed with celery salt, celery seed and celery juice, which are the same chemically but just sound a little less toxic. In fact, many times there are higher levels of sodium nitrite in foods where they use celery seed/salt/juice than if they just straight up use the commercial version. Found that on out the hard way.

If it's not a problem for you, I don't know if it will eventually be a problem or not. Am I overly sensitive to it or am I the canary in the coalmine? I know I'm definitely not the only one that has a problem with it, but I can't honestly say if it has a hidden effect on others that don't feel the pain, or if it's only a problem for those of us that do. I also have the same problem (migraine) with wine, both red and white, and I can't see that being detrimental to the average guy unless they're abusing it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's a matter of priorities to you. Lots of people consume uncured bacon, which has no nitrates. Some uncured bacon has no sugar. Or it may be from pastured pigs. All theoretically better.

They sell uncured bacon at my supermarket for $7.99 a pound, twice the price of regular bacon. I haven't tried it.

Millions of people do buy conventional bacon and eat it. It hasn't killed them yet. It's no doubt better than froot loops.

But why buy special microwave bacon? You can microwave any bacon.
    It's fully cooked and can be heated up in 15 seconds.........awesome!!! But there must be something wrong with it, it's too easy and it tastes too good!!!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12