Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Oh I might just cry.. *sigh* page 2

  1. #11
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Meanwhile, I really believe most, if not all, of us have a gluten sensitivity. Some may not be aware of it, some may think they have indigestion and bloating.
    This is a very broad generalization. When you say "us", do you mean the entire population? If so, that's a pretty extreme statement to make with no evidence to support it.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  2. #12
    Allenete's Avatar
    Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334
    People. Humans.

    I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.

    Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.

  3. #13
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.
    You seem to like to make unsubstantiated claims on a whim without any evidence. In fact, I do my homework, and I have for the past 5 years. I think it's important to not make assumptions of someone's knowledge if you don't even know them. Just a thought. And I do eat grains, so saying "you" don't eat grains doesn't apply in my particular situation.

    Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.
    Yes, you are free to believe what you want, not arguing that. Something that I think plays a part in the idea that everyone should cut out grains is the fact that you are surrounded by people (on this forum) who have a myriad of health issues such as gluten intolerance and full-blown celiac. People who have undoubtedly benefited from cutting wheat out of their diet.

    The problem is that you're looking from one extreme to another, and you're excluding the middle. I don't want to come off as the pro wheat guy, but if that's the stance I'm going to have to take to resist against some of the dogma I see floating around the internet, so be it. Wheat is not the root of all evil, and until I see conclusive evidence that says otherwise, my opinion will not change.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  4. #14
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Wheat's greatest power is invisibility--everyone eats it without calling it by name.
    I wish I could remember who posted it here. But there was a post, I think when I first found the forums, about someone who, when asked by the waitress what kind of bread s/he wanted with his eggs, said, "none, thank you, I don't eat wheat." To which she replied, "But we have white bread."

    Because apparently white bread is a magical bread shot out of unicorn asses.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  5. #15
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    People. Humans.

    I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.

    Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.
    jakejoh10 believes that gluten is a problem for hardly anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I wish I could remember who posted it here. But there was a post, I think when I first found the forums, about someone who, when asked by the waitress what kind of bread s/he wanted with his eggs, said, "none, thank you, I don't eat wheat." To which she replied, "But we have white bread."

    Because apparently white bread is a magical bread shot out of unicorn asses.
    Because white bread is not made from wheat. It is made from white.

  6. #16
    Allenete's Avatar
    Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    You seem to like to make unsubstantiated claims on a whim without any evidence.
    This is a forum, since when are citations and a bibliography mandatory? I should start disregarding all manner of advice and suggestions I've read here then because the OPs have not provided a bibliography.

    I have not put forward any claims at all as truth. I merely said "I believe".


    In fact, I do my homework, and I have for the past 5 years. I think it's important to not make assumptions of someone's knowledge if you don't even know them. Just a thought.
    Same goes for you.
    Although I don't think either of us have made assumptions on what the other knows. I'm merely assuming you haven't read what I've read... either that or you've read more. Which I don't know because you haven't provided evidence for your claims to the contrary.

    And I do eat grains, so saying "you" don't eat grains doesn't apply in my particular situation.
    I'd ask "why are you here then?" but that's moot and it's a free for all forum.


    Yes, you are free to believe what you want, not arguing that. Something that I think plays a part in the idea that everyone should cut out grains is the fact that you are surrounded by people (on this forum) who have a myriad of health issues such as gluten intolerance and full-blown celiac. People who have undoubtedly benefited from cutting wheat out of their diet.
    That is a very good point, the sample population here is very specific. However, I have been eating this way and reading longer than I have been on this forum.

  7. #17
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    This is a forum, since when are citations and a bibliography mandatory? I should start disregarding all manner of advice and suggestions I've read here then because the OPs have not provided a bibliography.

    I have not put forward any claims at all as truth. I merely said "I believe".
    Never said citations were mandatory, just saying that you should expect some backlash when you make such a broad generalization. I'm not upset or offended, just letting you know where I'm coming from.


    Same goes for you.
    Although I don't think either of us have made assumptions on what the other knows. I'm merely assuming you haven't read what I've read... either that or you've read more. Which I don't know because you haven't provided evidence for your claims to the contrary.
    You implied that I haven't done reading of my own, which is false. We all know by now that the research on this topic is far from conclusive either way, so if you're going make a claim (even if it's just your opinion) such as the one you made, you have to expect some kind of rebuttal. Not saying you said this, but at this point, to say that everyone is sensitive to wheat is foolish, and to say that no one is sensitive to gluten is foolish, even more so than the previous claim.

    My only problem with what I've seen from some members of the forum so far is the blatant disregard for the people in the middle of the spectrum.

    I'd ask "why are you here then?" but that's moot and it's a free for all forum.
    I think this is a perfectly valid question, seeing as I don't always see eye to eye with some of the "Primal" views. My response is that I truly enjoy Mark's work, I think he's an excellent person, and I think that it's good to see other sides of the coin, as it will help me learn even more rather than being pigeonholed and suffering from confirmation bias.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  8. #18
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,730
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Never said citations were mandatory, just saying that you should expect some backlash when you make such a broad generalization......
    No OP shouldn't expect such backlash. Its a substantial aspect of the theory we are working under. Dude, you had your say in the other two threads.... Is this going to be an issue every single time someone makes a comment on wheat? I can understand why you jumped in on those other two threads, but this is getting silly.

    Seriously. Consider keeping it to the research thread. We can discuss biochemistry and delayed immunological reactions all day in there, but in the general nutrition thread maybe start with the assumption that people are following the PB theory and practice so just want info on that. Its just silly to keep pressing on an issue that is the cornerstone of why people chose this WOE in the first place.

    For the record the OP's claims are not unsubstantiated. You can make a fine case that gmo dwarf wheat is detrimental to PEOPLE. The evidence to support OP's claims are there. But this isn't math or physics so you will never come to THE answer. The closest we can come in biology is a well supported theory so debate is inevitable.

  9. #19
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,892
    I do think the whole gluten free thing is overdone, but damn, Americans eat way too much baked goods at the expense or in addition to nutritious foods. I look at all that stuff- be it coconut flour, rice flour or real flour as filler. Nothing more, nothing less than empty calories. Your body simply does not need it.

    For me, I can eat the occasional bread with no other problems. But I don't need it daily or even weekly. I used to eat bread or wheat 3 times a day as the basis to my diet. That was incorrect.

    I guess I feel like the real problem with wheat or grains, for those without sensitivity is that muffins, bread, cookies should never be a main portion of your diet. Period.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  10. #20
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think that is absolutely dead-on. If you're not a celiac, there is no point in going gluten-free if you're not going to commit to a significant lifestyle change. Replacing brownies with gluten-free brownies is a waste of time and won't show any measurable health benefits. And generally, because wheat flour is a staple and fortified as mentioned, switching to corn starch and rice flour, the typical go-to gluten-free fours, is going to be even less nutritious. In short, going "gluten-free" COULD be even less healthy.

    This isn't written in the context of avoiding processed foods. It's simply stating switching wheat flour for other junk flours for a non-celiac is just a waste of time, potentially even less nutritious and surely more expensive since you're paying for that g* logo. I agree 100%.
    this is so true.

    i feel this is where the belief system comes into play more than the reality system.

    society has placed a specific emphasis on feeling good with food. the more sugary the food the more satisfaction

    I remember my first round of HCG. coming off the restricted diet everything was so sweet that it was sickening. but by the time i got to my second round it had toned down again.

    when you divorce the concept of happiness/entitlement being part of food reward ( yeah i used that phrase LOL ) you begin to make RATIONAL choices about food

    choices you cannot make until you realize that calories are here to provide fuel for the organism and any other benefit is ancillary and most often unnecessary
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •