Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dating! page

november is offline Member

Dating!

A recent post got me wondering, how have other single people fared with the primal/dating combo? I think I've been a bit discouraged lately because the last person I went on a date with could barely comprehend the concept of gluten intolerance, much less a primal lifestyle. I know that the right person would be willing to listen and learn even if they weren't familiar with the ideas, but sometimes I dream of meeting someone to whom the words ketogenic or glycemic index actually make sense. It doesn't help that I live in a super hippie college area where many of the men are vegan (like, obnoxiously vegan) and could probably not take me on in a dark alley. I'm hardly an Amazon warrior princess but seriously, I don't know how the whole waifish hipster male thing has caught on so much. It's not the clothes or the body type that gets to me, though, it's the attitude. Most of them act like spoiled, entitled children. They don't ask women on dates...they want to meet to "hang out" at their apartment (e.g., hope that your mutual love of Florence and the Machine will inspire you to take off your clothing, or "meet for drinks" and then sit in the corner and not order anything (or offer to order you anything) because most of them work part time at Starbucks and apparently don't have $15 for a couple of cocktails. Call me old-fashioned, but I feel like some deep, instinctive part of me is like... "no, no, never ever have sex with this person, your children will be eaten by tigers", despite the fact that I'm fastidious about birth control and tigers are actually not a huge risk factor these days. I guess an easy answer to that is I should probably start talking to guys at the gym rather than at cafes, or OkCupid which has pretty much turned out to be a hot mess every time, haha. Anyway, that is my rant for the evening. What are other people's experiences with navigating the singles scene as a modern-day Grok or Grokette?
    Last edited by november; 06-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.

november is offline Member
    A related question: As a guy at the gym, would it bother you if a woman struck up a conversation with you while you were hitting the weights? I mean, obviously not in the middle of a set or anything. I've exchanged smiles with people before but I always stopped short of striking up a conversation because A., I didn't want to intrude on someone's workout., B. I was kind of sweaty and not at my most composed and C., I wasn't really sure what to say. I guess I could ask about good form for weightlifting or something, but I don't want to be all like, "hey you, attractive man with muscles, be my personal trainer now!"

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Well dont date scrawny hipster males. Go find a man, someone grown up and with a job and a place he does not share with 3 roomies. Is there guys at the gym you fancy? Then chime up before hand and ask if they would be willing to spot you? That's how I met my first real girlfriend oh these many years ago.

Frankly these dorky hipsters have me worried for the future of western civilization.

Date older guys, we will rock your world.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

miiikeeaj is offline Junior Member
    Maybe there should be a match.com for people who follow the primal lifestyle...

As for me, I don't even bother asking anymore.

As long as I'm not in the middle of a set, I don't mind at all.. just asking for a guy's opinion on what you're doing would probably be a good conversation starter

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    I hear you, november...

I don't need a guy I'm dating to be paleo (though it'd be awesome), but it'd make life tons easier. Having said that, I'd go for intelligence and open mindedness first (both of which hopefully points to be paleo anyway, right?!)

I was just at the gym this morning, and never got past glances/smiles- so much for equality among the sexes, huh? But dammit I want the guy to make the first move

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Frankly these dorky hipsters have me worried for the future of western civilization.
    Ha! Don't get me started on cardigan and skinny-jean wearing boys with fuzz on their top lip and a QUIFF.

SHUDDER.

And whiny-hole Florence and the Machine can take her screeching and flounce off into the distance, for all I care!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I got set up with a girl the other night. She was hot, but at some point she brought up that she wanted to go vegan. Then hunting came up, and she didn't approve of my shooting animals for food. I was like "sweetie, this probably won't work out" in my head.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherp View Post
    Ha! Don't get me started on cardigan and skinny-jean wearing boys with fuzz on their top lip and a QUIFF.

SHUDDER.

And whiny-hole Florence and the Machine can take her screeching and flounce off into the distance, for all I care!
    That's me, minus the fuzz, and Florence and the Machine is great. Perhaps you're just old? Your parents hated what you liked as a youngster, too.
    nihil

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Boy times have really changed. I went to Cotillions. Ah well.

See if there's an FX group or gym around. They'll certainly understand primal and groups make it easier to meet others.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't feel like I can have guy friends because I always feel like they have an ulterior motive! Even if they have girlfriends, I always get a sense...... Currently DRIVING me crazy!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast