Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dating! page 3

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Dude, you take this way too seriously.
    I did "this" from the time I was about 10. Not everyone was raised by a TV set and a microwave....The fact that a guy wrote a book about it a few years ago just gave it a name and a place for me to write about it.

Hint: What people call "Primal", others call "Traditional living". Not all of those people went away. Some of them raised their kids with it.

What an ass.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-27-2013 at 10:07 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I got set up with a girl the other night. She was hot, but at some point she brought up that she wanted to go vegan. Then hunting came up, and she didn't approve of my shooting animals for food. I was like "sweetie, this probably won't work out" in my head.
    I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    You can't; we ALWAYS have one. Always.
    A la When Harry Met Sally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    As a man, I have found the inverse of your problem....I am a 28yo doctor and recently bought a LOT of land. Dating now is almost comical in the culture shock!

I am generally taken as a hypermasculine guy on first impression, just based on what I look like I think....when the discussion of primal comes up, it all starts to go even worse. It seems to come up earlier than I'd like, because invariably a meal will be a part of the first few dates. When I offer to go to a restaurant serving all grass-fed, then order a Ribeye and a double order of green beans, it's bound to come up.

Then we get to talk about what I do for fun....I explain that I read a lot, and prefer to do this in a nature setting rather than at home. I explain that I hiked MT Mansfield last weekend after a 36 hour fast, did a Ruck competition, etc. You get the idea.

Then we go to my humble home. I have no TV (hence why I write on here a lot), have dedicated my master bedroom to a library (6700 books, than you very much!), and cook with all cast iron. There is a wooden butter churner, a record player that you hand-crank, oil lamps, candles, mechanical coffee grinders,20lb bags of whole ingredients, a spice rack that involves going outside with a pair of scissors, and inside my fridge there is usually bone marrow I am seasoning into stock...a deep freeze full of stuff I hunted, mushrooms I get outside, a root cellar where I store my own veg...then I make them a nice fire in the woodstove....which I chopped myself and is my only heat source.

So one could see why I get from most women I've dated that "I'm like dating a guy from 1000 years ago". I write handwritten letters to them. I bring flowers to all dates if I can collect them in season. I am a 100% throwback.

That is why when I hear that "Primal is not a diet, it's a lifestyle", it makes me smile because it definitely applies to me that way. I find that I cannot afford for it to be omitted when I am on an early date, because otherwise they are in for quite a shock when they see where the sharp-dressed man on their forearm sleeps at night...

P.S. If a guy ever asks you to "hang out", he is a juvenile and not worth your time. I hang out with my dog. I court a pretty woman. Make a f-ing effort
    I did "this" from the time I was about 10. Not everyone was raised by a TV set and a microwave.The fact that a guy wrote a book about it a few years ago just gave it a name and a place for me to write about it.

Hint: What people call "Primal", I call "Traditional living". Not all of those people went away. Some of them raised their kids with it.
    You truly rock. I'm old and decrepit, but if I had the last 20 years back, I'd go for you big time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

wiltondeportes Guest
    As a man, I have found the inverse of your problem....I am a 28yo doctor and recently bought a LOT of land. Dating now is almost comical in the culture shock!

I am generally taken as a hypermasculine guy on first impression, just based on what I look like I think....when the discussion of primal comes up, it all starts to go even worse. It seems to come up earlier than I'd like, because invariably a meal will be a part of the first few dates. When I offer to go to a restaurant serving all grass-fed, then order a Ribeye and a double order of green beans, it's bound to come up.

Then we get to talk about what I do for fun....I explain that I read a lot, and prefer to do this in a nature setting rather than at home. I explain that I hiked MT Mansfield last weekend after a 36 hour fast, did a Ruck competition, etc. You get the idea.

Then we go to my humble home. I have no TV (hence why I write on here a lot), have dedicated my master bedroom to a library (6700 books, than you very much!), and cook with all cast iron. There is a wooden butter churner, a record player that you hand-crank, oil lamps, candles, mechanical coffee grinders,20lb bags of whole ingredients, a spice rack that involves going outside with a pair of scissors, and inside my fridge there is usually bone marrow I am seasoning into stock...a deep freeze full of stuff I hunted, mushrooms I get outside, a root cellar where I store my own veg...then I make them a nice fire in the woodstove....which I chopped myself and is my only heat source.

So one could see why I get from most women I've dated that "I'm like dating a guy from 1000 years ago". I write handwritten letters to them. I bring flowers to all dates if I can collect them in season. I am a 100% throwback.

That is why when I hear that "Primal is not a diet, it's a lifestyle", it makes me smile because it definitely applies to me that way. I find that I cannot afford for it to be omitted when I am on an early date, because otherwise they are in for quite a shock when they see where the sharp-dressed man on their forearm sleeps at night...

P.S. If a guy ever asks you to "hang out", he is a juvenile and not worth your time. I hang out with my dog. I court a pretty woman. Make a f-ing effort
    I applaud your effort, but I wonder about some of your choices.

Why is ____ important?
    -no TV (I love movies; what's wrong with them?)
    -6700 book library (and how many have you read? do libraries and internet pages not suffice?)
    -cast iron cookware (why? is this even worth mentioning? what's wrong with stainless steel?)
    -hand-cranked record player (why not buy a speaker system for your computer and play off your hard drive or the internet? are you expecting an EMT blast or an electrical grid shutdown?)

Some of your other choices sound badass. I have a hard time imagining any of these being issues.
    -root cellar
    -wooden butter churner
    -oil lamp
    -bone marrow
    -growing your own spices

I was originally thinking "flowers, handwritten notes, sharply dressed" sounds pointless, but I now have to agree with you to an extent. The 1st is obvious. The 2nd won't come into play right away but could down the road. The 3rd I take liberally because fashion clothing is a waste of my time.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-27-2013 at 10:17 PM.

november is offline Member
    This gives me my best idea yet: the primal bachelor/bachelorette reality show!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Everyone should post their OkCupid account if they have one.

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I enjoy your questions. I will try

* No TV --- I didn't have one until I was 16, and even then it was very rare. I watched it at other people's homes of course, but never at my parents'. When I went to college I had one that was rarely used, and then through early residency I was never around enough to care....when I bought this place it never seemed necessary. I have a 2 in 1 computer screen that works for both movies and this if I have company. It's just not necessary. Internet is all-powerful, movies and more.
    * The library I inherited from my grandfather, about half of it. I have accumulated the rest over the past 10 years or so. I HAVE read most all of my 2500 or so, but some of his no. Many are very old and reading them would be risky.
    * Cast-iron....oh how I love thee...I am a big foodie, and for me I don't understand why well-seasoned cast-irons of differing thicknesses don't do the job. Stainless steel gives uneven heat, unless you are willing to pay big $ for the professional-grade. I won't use Teflon, and I learned to cook on this stuff all my life. Again, extra stuff isn't necessary.
    * Record player. I have BOTH new and old. I have my 2 in 1 that I am writing this on, and it has Bose speakers that will knock your socks off. That said, I am a fan of vinyl for its better sound quality to mp3 or CDs, especially for classical music. I actually have 3 sources for music, in the computer, the crank phono, and in an ultra badass vinyl/mp3 player. I live in an area though where power outages in winter are common, so I like to be able to not have my life shutdown when that happens. I lost power for almost 3 weeks last January because the line has to run a few miles to just a few homes. Music was still going though

The other stuff you liked is just normal and necessary to store your own veg or make your own butter. My close friend and neighbor (about 3mi away) raises grass-fed cattle, so I have a limitless supply of bones, meat, and raw milk that I barter for or buy. I don't have cattle. That is a full-time job by itself....I do have a big garden, chickens, a goat, and 2 turkeys.

The last bit of romantic stuff is just because I think that women respect deliberateness. Just tell the truth and don't act like a scared little weasel. I do the handwritten stuff because its a lost art that will never be replaced by a text or email

Now for my favorite piece of furniture, the king-sized bed. Night.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Most of my friends are male. I don't know if they have 'ulterior motives' or not -- I suggest not.

Anyway, I think it's fine to strike up a conversation in the gym -- if he doesn't want to talk to you, he'll be clear about it. Dh is very clear about it.

Apparently, gyms can be major hook up places.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I enjoy your questions. I will try

* No TV --- I didn't have one until I was 16, and even then it was very rare. I watched it at other people's homes of course, but never at my parents'. When I went to college I had one that was rarely used, and then through early residency I was never around enough to care....when I bought this place it never seemed necessary. I have a 2 in 1 computer screen that works for both movies and this if I have company. It's just not necessary. Internet is all-powerful, movies and more.
    * The library I inherited from my grandfather, about half of it. I have accumulated the rest over the past 10 years or so. I HAVE read most all of my 2500 or so, but some of his no. Many are very old and reading them would be risky.
    * Cast-iron....oh how I love thee...I am a big foodie, and for me I don't understand why well-seasoned cast-irons of differing thicknesses don't do the job. Stainless steel gives uneven heat, unless you are willing to pay big $ for the professional-grade. I won't use Teflon, and I learned to cook on this stuff all my life. Again, extra stuff isn't necessary.
    * Record player. I have BOTH new and old. I have my 2 in 1 that I am writing this on, and it has Bose speakers that will knock your socks off. That said, I am a fan of vinyl for its better sound quality to mp3 or CDs, especially for classical music. I actually have 3 sources for music, in the computer, the crank phono, and in an ultra badass vinyl/mp3 player. I live in an area though where power outages in winter are common, so I like to be able to not have my life shutdown when that happens. I lost power for almost 3 weeks last January because the line has to run a few miles to just a few homes. Music was still going though

The other stuff you liked is just normal and necessary to store your own veg or make your own butter. My close friend and neighbor (about 3mi away) raises grass-fed cattle, so I have a limitless supply of bones, meat, and raw milk that I barter for or buy. I don't have cattle. That is a full-time job by itself....I do have a big garden, chickens, a goat, and 2 turkeys.

The last bit of romantic stuff is just because I think that women respect deliberateness. Just tell the truth and don't act like a scared little weasel. I do the handwritten stuff because its a lost art that will never be replaced by a text or email

Now for my favorite piece of furniture, the king-sized bed. Night.
    So overall, you must be saying that women these days are raised without any traditional self-reliance skills, eat like crap, don't exercise or go outside enough, have boring hobbies, and are unconfident about accepting propositions from unusual men? Therefore, the dating scene sucks for those who do badass things such as what we have been talking about? This I totally agree with.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    November- Lazarus seems to be ignoring all the females, so, ah, how do you feel about dating Primal women?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Althought I am pretty new to the primal lifestyle, On dates I wouldn't put much emphaisis on what I eat or how I live my life. I would like to meet someone who is not that narrow minded! Conversely if she was a vegan, I might think twice! haha.. but seriously proovided they don't mind the way I live and won't try to change me, I don't see any problems. As/if the relationship develops and sees what a fulfilled life I live, then perhaps she will come round to my way of living, until then I won't try to change who she is, and she won't try to change the way I am!
    Simples!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast