Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating just egg yolks page

wiggles92 is offline Junior Member

Eating just egg yolks

Shop Now
    Is it a good idea?

I seem to get relatively minor digestion issues from eating say, 5 eggs in a day. From what I've seen online, this seems to be due to a autoimmune response from consuming too much of the protein, mainly in the whites.

Also, as someone who tries to maintain ketogenesis, getting rid of all that protein may be helpful. In the same way I choose butter over milk or cheese, should I choose yolks over whites?

It still amuses me when I tell people how much butter/coconut oil I get through. Especially when the low fat brainwashed raise concerns over weight gain and cardiovascular problems, whilst they are constantly exhausted and end up with various ailments on a regular basis. It's a shame so many people can't see the wood for the trees.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. I've done that. Egg whites bother me, so if I want more than an egg, I just throw the egg whites out and use the yolks.

The cats won't even eat the whites.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I like to eat yolks raw. Most yummy that way IMO.

Well I did just make an 8 egg omelet for lunch and kept the whites. But if I where having issue I'd try the all yolk idea. That is where all your energy and nutrients are anyhow.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Watch out, those pesky yolks will raise your cholesterol!

Not serious.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Egg whites don't contain much besides a bitty amount of protein. Go for the yolks.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The issue could be you're simply consuming 3 dozen eggs a week and it's far too much. Too much of any single food can be a problem. Why the ketogenic diet, anyway? There is very little they are good for. It's hibernation metabolism and a highly inefficient way to survive. Why not just vary your diet more, eat less eggs and more of everything else? Egg yolks are great, but removing the whites and consuming the yolks only is just like the people that toss the yolks and keep the whites...it is a terrible waste. Yolks are great, but whites are, too.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Is ketosis really a highly inefficient way to survive? I'm not saying you're wrong but gimme some information. This talk seemed to convince me that keto is the way forward, but I'm obviously happy to be wrong.

Nora Gedgaudas

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggles92 View Post
    Is ketosis really a highly inefficient way to survive? I'm not saying you're wrong but gimme some information. This talk seemed to convince me that keto is the way forward, but I'm obviously happy to be wrong.

Nora Gedgaudas
    Ketosis is fine for many. Your going to get a range of OPINIONS on it. The best you can do is to research it and try it out yourself and let your body be your guide. Actually ketosis is about as efficient as it gets. Volek and Phinney are researchers in this area if you are interested. Their book "The art and science of low carb..." is a good resource. www.eatingacademy.com is an excellent blog with info on it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.

I've got pretty Northern European ancestry- a combination of Scandinavian & French mainly, so I'm guessing I'm probably well suited to a good chunk of saturated fat. I'm also curiously ~5% Iranian. No idea where that's from. Anyway, the more I lower the carbs the better my brain operates, I'm sure. Having spent years dealing with a poor memory and a general drowsiness, I feel much more 'even' and switched on all day.

If I start eating carbs, it becomes extremely easy to overeat too.

If my ancestry was from some island where the main food sources were fruits, I suppose I would be better adapted to that. That's the idea anyway.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Egg whites don't contain much besides a bitty amount of protein. Go for the yolks.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast