Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating just egg yolks page 2

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The issue could be you're simply consuming 3 dozen eggs a week and it's far too much.
    Is this your opinion or did I miss something?

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Eggs are high in PUFA.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggles92 View Post
    Is ketosis really a highly inefficient way to survive? I'm not saying you're wrong but gimme some information. This talk seemed to convince me that keto is the way forward, but I'm obviously happy to be wrong.

Nora Gedgaudas
    Yes. Ketosis is a metabolic process that exists solely to get us through times of extreme famine and starvation. When you enter in ketosis, since your brain still needs glucose to survive, you're literally eating yourself from the inside to get said glucose. Ketosis suppresses thyroid, increases cortisol (since it is cortisol that breaks down your muscles and organs to get glucose) and drops your CO2 drastically, which means your mitochondria stop making a lot of energy. The "carb flu" that people get is their body being forced to find different metabolic pathways to deal with a much less efficient energy source (fat) now that they are deprived of their body's preferred fuel (glucose). It takes several weeks for a lot of people's bodies to downregulate its metabolic rate enough to work comfortably on fat in a glucose-deprived environment.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    Is this your opinion or did I miss something?
    Eggs are a fairly common allergen. Like any allergen, the reaction is in the dosage. If you're somewhat allergic to cats, it may take several hours exposed to many cats in an unclean house for it to really bother you. If you're highly allergic, it'll hit you right away with minimal exposure. Most of us, obviously, are not highly allergic to eggs. But I'm guessing many of us may have tiny sensitivities. When you are literally chugging down 3 dozen eggs every single week, even the slightest intolerance would be magnified. Maybe back off a bit.

Eggs are phenomenal for health, no question, but I'm not going to make half my diet eggs. That's how you really bring out food sensitivities - overexposure and lack of diet variance.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Eggs are high in PUFA.
    I agree, but the benefits far outweigh that IMO. Even Ray Peat, the most anti-PUFA person on Planet Earth, loves eggs. Balance it out with steak, and cook them in coconut oil or butter to help offset it. I like to put goat cheese in my omelets. Eggs, coconut oil and goat cheese...pretty solid if you ask me.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are a fairly common allergen. Like any allergen, the reaction is in the dosage. If you're somewhat allergic to cats, it may take several hours exposed to many cats in an unclean house for it to really bother you. If you're highly allergic, it'll hit you right away with minimal exposure. Most of us, obviously, are not highly allergic to eggs. But I'm guessing many of us may have tiny sensitivities. When you are literally chugging down 3 dozen eggs every single week, even the slightest intolerance would be magnified. Maybe back off a bit.

Eggs are phenomenal for health, no question, but I'm not going to make half my diet eggs. That's how you really bring out food sensitivities - overexposure and lack of diet variance.
    I have experienced a bit of intolerance type of symptoms with eggs lately. It's a bit odd given I have eaten a lot of eggs for a long time and these recent issues kind of came out of nowhere. Was just curious on others thoughts.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I agree, but the benefits far outweigh that IMO. Even Ray Peat, the most anti-PUFA person on Planet Earth, loves eggs. Balance it out with steak, and cook them in coconut oil or butter to help offset it. I like to put goat cheese in my omelets. Eggs, coconut oil and goat cheese...pretty solid if you ask me.
    He only eats 2 eggs a week, and claims that eggs outside the US have significantly less PUFA. He's even cut back on shellfish, and upped his liver intake a bit. He focuses a lot more on the sugar aspect of the diet lately.

I also got really sick of eggs, I used to eat 3-4 a day, now I eat 2 a month. I've upped shellfish intake a lot though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    I have experienced a bit of intolerance type of symptoms with eggs lately. It's a bit odd given I have eaten a lot of eggs for a long time and these recent issues kind of came out of nowhere. Was just curious on others thoughts.
    Vary your diet more. Do you low-carb by any chance? People who low-carb tend to have unhealthy gut cultures. Remember, your food is digested by bacteria. If you don't have a healthy gut, you're not going to properly digest your food. Lactose intolerance, for example, is a product of an unhealthy gut (and low-carbers tend to experience it the worst). Fermented dairy, probiotic supplementation and foods rich in soluble fiber (bananas, plantains, white potatoes, sweet potatoes) help contribute to a healthy gut while high intakes of insoluble fiber (grains, fibrous green vegetables) tend to work against your gut health.

If you do have a minor egg intolerance, eating huge quantities of them (2-3+ dozen a week every week) in addition to low-carb dieting is a great way to bring them out. That doesn't mean never eat eggs - just cut back a bit and add in some fermented foods and soluble fiber in their expense.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat up to a dozen and a half eggs a week. Now I can eat a maximum of 1 whole egg a day average. In fact I only occasionally eat whole eggs, so eating 2 in a sitting made into an omelet may mean that's the only eggs I eat all week.

I can eat a lot more yolks, at least in theory. But I don't much crave them in the summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast