So I live like 10 minutes drive from the coast of Northumberland in the UK. Having spent significant parts of my youth exploring the rock pools, I've just recently been wondering whether the various brown seaweed type stuff is worth picking and eating.

The coast near Newcastle upon Tyne is pretty beautiful and seems to be a very healthy, uncontaminated area of the world. Always loads of crabs etc, and a dip in the North Sea is quite a refreshing experience, as long as you are able to handle the temperature. Perhaps bracing would be a better way to put it haha.

Here's a pretty rocky stretch, but will hopefully illustrate what I'm saying

Currently I'll make my way through bags and bags of frozen spinach, as its both cheap and (I would argue) pretty much the best source of nutrition, when compared against other vegetables. Like if you could pick one vegetable to live off, spinach or kale would be the best choice. Feel free to tell me otherwise. I know about the oxilate issues (might be the wrong word but its something similar ). As far as I know sea veg don't have the same issues.

If I can eat these, I've basically got an unlimited source of wild, untampered sea veg. In the same way that eating say, a wild deer, provides superior nutrition to even the best pastured cows, would wild seaweed walk all over commercially grown leafy greens?

Another aside- the miles and miles of untampered beach have all manner of seafood. Like you will come across huge swathes of ancient looking mussels. I could theoretically gather huge quantities of wild seafood and sea vegetables. I would imagine this sort of diet, in combination with good quality animals products, would pretty much give me the best diet of virtually anyone. Often you come across big bushes of wild blackberries too, which I will just stuff my face with.

Apologies for the extra long post. I tried to keep it short, but there was a lot of content to cover. Also I've read Mark's 'Sea vegetables' post but I feel like I still have questions to answer.