Surely I'm not alone on this...

To Mark and my peers...

When I was 50, I got (more) into nutrition and weight lifting and lost about 120 lbs, became a very successful personal trainer and taught a lot of people what I though of as ďthe truth.Ē If you had asked me then, Iíd have told you what I was teaching would be appropriate for the rest of my life and theirs.

Then the knees started hurting. The hips were painful. Arthritis became rampant. By age 57 Iíd had my first total knee replacement. Over the next near decade I became progressively more disabled and obese. By 65 I had had 3 total knees and both hips replaced. When the final hip was healed enough, I decided that it just wasnít normal and began researching why.

That began my ancestral nutrition exposure, introduction to yours and other blogs, books and research into whatís really known about human nutrition and the entire aging process--especially chronic inflammation.

Almost three years of primal or ancestral nutrition has done a lot for me. Getting off wheat and grains, and getting enough Omega 3ís (plus eliminating all the Omega 6 overload) put my arthritis into remission. The titanium joints are not as good as Iíd wish, but they are good enough so that I am now able to develop and run my own little homesteadógarden, orchard, livestock and wood heatóby myself with joy and verve. And pain free.

But starting at 66 to now, at almost 69 years old, following a low carb, mostly paleo/primal diet, I didnít lose any weight (of the 100 or so lbs I needed to drop) until I bought this farm and started putting in long hours of hard physical work. Along with the work came a reduced appetite. After a year, I am down 45 lbs. But it has been from less food and a lot more activity, not the low carbs and better nutrition. Lower intake and more activity is not what the theories tell me should work. Nor does it work as well as I wish!

As I alluded, from my mid 50ís I was the queen of weight loss strategies. This situation now, is discouraging. Then, I was pre-menopausal. Now I am post-menopausal. No one in the ancestral community is addressing that difference and that seems VERY short sighted since itís coming for every woman and the men who care for them. Take my word for it, this is a different environment and landscape than anyone is talking about. Yes, Iím happy with low CRP, arthritis in remission, markers all improved, and being pain-free--but not the resistant midsection.

Is anyone doing research? Are you aware of any wisdom for those of us trying our best and still dealing with obesity, probably some insulin resistance, and discouragement?