Thread: Calling all Over-Sixties with weight loss issues... page

winslowellie is offline Junior Member

Calling all Over-Sixties with weight loss issues...

Shop Now
    Surely I'm not alone on this...

To Mark and my peers...

When I was 50, I got (more) into nutrition and weight lifting and lost about 120 lbs, became a very successful personal trainer and taught a lot of people what I though of as ďthe truth.Ē If you had asked me then, Iíd have told you what I was teaching would be appropriate for the rest of my life and theirs.

Then the knees started hurting. The hips were painful. Arthritis became rampant. By age 57 Iíd had my first total knee replacement. Over the next near decade I became progressively more disabled and obese. By 65 I had had 3 total knees and both hips replaced. When the final hip was healed enough, I decided that it just wasnít normal and began researching why.

That began my ancestral nutrition exposure, introduction to yours and other blogs, books and research into whatís really known about human nutrition and the entire aging process--especially chronic inflammation.

Almost three years of primal or ancestral nutrition has done a lot for me. Getting off wheat and grains, and getting enough Omega 3ís (plus eliminating all the Omega 6 overload) put my arthritis into remission. The titanium joints are not as good as Iíd wish, but they are good enough so that I am now able to develop and run my own little homesteadógarden, orchard, livestock and wood heatóby myself with joy and verve. And pain free.

But starting at 66 to now, at almost 69 years old, following a low carb, mostly paleo/primal diet, I didnít lose any weight (of the 100 or so lbs I needed to drop) until I bought this farm and started putting in long hours of hard physical work. Along with the work came a reduced appetite. After a year, I am down 45 lbs. But it has been from less food and a lot more activity, not the low carbs and better nutrition. Lower intake and more activity is not what the theories tell me should work. Nor does it work as well as I wish!

As I alluded, from my mid 50ís I was the queen of weight loss strategies. This situation now, is discouraging. Then, I was pre-menopausal. Now I am post-menopausal. No one in the ancestral community is addressing that difference and that seems VERY short sighted since itís coming for every woman and the men who care for them. Take my word for it, this is a different environment and landscape than anyone is talking about. Yes, Iím happy with low CRP, arthritis in remission, markers all improved, and being pain-free--but not the resistant midsection.

Is anyone doing research? Are you aware of any wisdom for those of us trying our best and still dealing with obesity, probably some insulin resistance, and discouragement?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I think there has been too much emphasis on Grok and not enough on Grokina/Grokette or whatever you want to call her. I am a guy and don't have answers for you. I was on Primal for four years with losing much fat. That only started happening about a year ago when I finally gave in and started doing IF. What limited information we have suggests IF may not work well for at least some women in their reproductive years. Mother Nature wants women to be able to reproduce and nurse. But the situation may be different for post-menopausal women. Maybe someone else knows more about this than I do.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

healthcoach is offline Junior Member
    I think this is a common complaint in most post menopausal women that I see.Due to natural hormone shifts weight loss is extremely difficult add artificial joints even more difficult. However I still feel its good to have a hormonal panel done especially full thyroid including tsh, free T3, and Free T4 and TPO

Thanks Hedonist2, I agree, not enough attention paid to the differences between genders (we women are half the population) and not enough given to the aging process. I was in the best fitness shape of my life at age 55, lean muscular and strong as an ox. Ten years later is a different universe. So someone ought to note what's coming for all women and figure some of this out.

And thanks, Healthcoach! I've done most of those tests (though I had to fight my CW doctor and listen to his patronizing and totally misinformed spew to get them.) Thyroid at least is normal.

Maybe if I can get down to normal weight again (and it does stay off) I should write a book. I certainly have a peer group that is going to be spending money on theses issues in the next decade.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I was disappointed to find that no research seems to have been done on an ideal or suggested target body fat range for post-menopausal women. If it is not healthy for a young woman to get her body fat below a certain point because her periods will stop, what can they say about older women for whom that wouldn't be an issue?

Apparently, what they say is that older women don't exercise and aren't going to start, so there's no point in doing any research based on post-menopausal women who do get exercise and lead active lives. All the research I found seemed to be about taking sedentary older women, putting them on CW weight loss diets and/or very light exercise, then taking measurements and expecting them to stop exercising and go back to their "normal" diets. The worst was a study that showed that older women who lost weight lost a high percentage of muscle, while regaining the weight (or more!) as expected, they only put on fat. So they were much worse off for having taken part in the study, and nobody gave a shit about that.

One of the things that has remained similar in late 60's from early 50's and in between is that a change is always good for a few pounds off. Not sure why that is--biologic or psychologic--but noted, and I can use it and teach it, too. I got started on this thread because I am re-writing my weight loss booklet that was originally pre ancestral diet knowledge. It isn't all wrong, because I at least recognized insulin and protein as big players. But I was still stuck in "fat is bad" mode and calories count, plus lots of small meals BS. Now that I am trying to impart real wisdom for those over 60, I find it tough sledding and can only iterate that what's worked for me in the last year is less food (still primal) and more activity. If anyone runs across studies that apply, please let me know!

dev
    dev is offline Junior Member
    not over 60 nor post-meno, but I am very frustrated by the lack of research/info/BLOGS (even) re: women and a primal/paleo diet AT ALL. so far, it seems mostly focused on weight loss in the very overweight & in the case of the Paleo for Women blog, PCOS & fertility problems. I want & need information related to other things - I don't have PCOS (hey, I'm glad she's talking about it & helping people - but it doesn't help me, personally), I don't want to get pregnant, and I'm not severely overweight. articles, as usual, are very focused on the "money" issues: weight loss, men's health, cancers, and mommy stuff (raising kids, pregnancy, feeding families). I don't fit into any of those categories. alas. I feel your pain!

annew is offline Junior Member
    I'm 70 - 70-1/2 if you ask my younger grandkids... I was doing the "normal" weight gain on a pretty typical American diet until about 8 years ago when I stopped smoking. Not having any idea how difficult weight loss would be for me I ate most of California letting go of that addiction.

Another result of the years of smoking is COPD.

A trusted friend urged me to try going off wheat for 10 days to see if it helped my breathing. It did and I've become pretty paleo since... at least the 80% that Mark suggests, and I haven't lost any weight, instead have gradually gained.

Until the last couple of weeks - I've moved and between the packing and cleaning, etc. which I found exhausting I've lost 3 or 4 pounds...I was in pretty constant motion during that time so maybe there is something to lots of physical activity and weight loss for postmenopausal women. I don't have a farm, nor want one, but I can do bodyweight exercises throughout the day and I have just started a combo Tai Chi/Qui Gong class that meets 5 days a week...

It's not true that "elderly" women won't exercise... friends my age walk, do tai chi type things and are actually pretty active... so whoever is writing us off health/weight/exercise is just flat wrong.

Really glad to find this thread and know I'm not alone! Let's keep it going somehow.

Update on this idea...I recently read an interesting article in Mother Jones. Not totally new info for me (Are Happy Gut Bacteria Key to Weight Loss?) Are Happy Gut Bacteria Key to Weight Loss? | Mother Jones
    but sometimes it takes a while to sink in. So the low carb thing didn't get me losing, and I was thinking recent success was more about hard work and reduced appetite, but along with that has been a lot more probiotic food and drink which might be making a big difference too. None of it all is simple, granted, it's complex stuff. No doubt some research would be nice.

One more thing I liked about the article is its discussion of chronic inflammation's role in obesity and disease. A topic missing in the ancestral community. Two things I didn't like about the article was the "whole grains are good" without recognition of their carbohydrate density and nutrient lack--and discussion of fat didn't identify type of fat. Still, an article worth reading. I included it in my own blog today with these and other thoughts.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    This is the research section and the OP did not post a research article, so I'm not sure what we're talking about, it seems to change in a few posts.

However, on this site there is tons, literally tons, of information on chronic inflammation and its role in obesity and disease.

Not much on post-menopausal women. What I have read, here and on other sites, has convinced me that everyone over 50 should be talking good supplements. By 50 the body has really began slowing down it's production and ability to absorb in the fast mode.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase