Thread: "Human Food Project" launches attack on low-carb diets page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

"Human Food Project" launches attack on low-carb diets

Shop Now
    I'm not sure I buy this -- a lot of hand-waving; not a lot of hard evidence; and, besides, one is always aware of how people will clutch at any straw to attack low-carb -- but it is fairly interesting, anyway.

Sorry low carbers, your microbiome is just not that into you - Human Food Project

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Are you trying to be sensational with your title?

From the post:
    "I hope people do not take this as some kind of attack on low carb diets – couldn’t be farther from the truth. There is NO AGENDA. Again, NO AGENDA. (It’s worth noting I consume a high fat, high protein, high fiber diet). "

Based on the information on gut microbiota that they have available from current studies, the author is simply wondering aloud how a low carb diet might affect gut bacteria. I'm very interested in their findings, as I believe low carb is what screwed up my gut last year and let to a long period of constant constipation.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    I actually found it very interesting, and I generally eat low carb. I was wondering if any of the low carbers that tracked their nutrition were having fermented food sources, but the author didn't mention them.

otzi Guest
    The author, Jeff Leach, is a low carber. His issue with low carb is when it's also low plant. But, talk about sensationalism in titles, Leach's article doesn't really indict LC at all--just the title does...strange.

faredoon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Are you trying to be sensational with your title?

From the post:
    "I hope people do not take this as some kind of attack on low carb diets – couldn’t be farther from the truth. There is NO AGENDA. Again, NO AGENDA. (It’s worth noting I consume a high fat, high protein, high fiber diet). "

Based on the information on gut microbiota that they have available from current studies, the author is simply wondering aloud how a low carb diet might affect gut bacteria. I'm very interested in their findings, as I believe low carb is what screwed up my gut last year and let to a long period of constant constipation.
    @namelesswonder: I have the same gut/fiber/constipation issues at the moment (about 3 months into Primal). What did you do about it? Would be glad to know. I think I've overdone the veggie intake (especially raw).

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Meh. Lots of speculation and not much content in that post.

I agree with Peter @ Hyperlipid that much of our gut biota is self-serving:
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search?q=Fiber

I have excellent digestion/elimination when I avoid most fiber, largely due to FODMAPS-intolerance.

Personally, I do best on a ketogenic diet.

I do however, eat/drink plenty of fermented foods: kombucha, kefir, cheese, chocolate, pickles, black tea...
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-01-2013 at 08:14 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by faredoon View Post
    @namelesswonder: I have the same gut/fiber/constipation issues at the moment (about 3 months into Primal). What did you do about it? Would be glad to know. I think I've overdone the veggie intake (especially raw).
    It's taken me about 8 months to find anything that worked REALLY well. First, I took vitamin C, which acted as an osmotic laxative. For a while, I took Inositol, colostrum, and Threelac (a probiotic supplement), but then I started having gas & bloating after meals/in the morning. I think I have bacterial issues now... I'm switching to magnesium citrate (starting with 600 mg per day, spread out to take with meals) right now and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm also taking peppermint oil capsules before meals & it helps reduce bloating & gas after meals. Also, digestive enzymes with a large meal with protein.

Probiotics work for some, but just make things worse for me right now. It's taking a lot of reading & experimentation. There's a "digestive issues" thread in the Nutrition forum where some people are talking about their issues (in some detail), you might find some new recommendations in there.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).