Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35 days in and weight loss has stopped.

Shop Now
    I agree with what everyone else had said- eat more. Either on a regular basis or a lot more once a week, different game plans seem to suit different bodies.

You may want to plot out your calories burned - calories eaten for the last 7 days. A difference of 500 cal / day is the sweet spot for 1-2 lbs. / week loss. More than 1000 cal / day will more than likely stall weight loss.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Losing 22 pounds in 35 days is an exceptional start. Relax and continue to listen to your body for a few more months. This is not a crash diet.
    That too.

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You may want to plot out your calories burned - calories eaten for the last 7 days. A difference of 500 cal / day is the sweet spot for 1-2 lbs. / week loss. More than 1000 cal / day will more than likely stall weight loss.
    You might want to plot it, but you can't accurately calculate calories burned closely enough for this information to be useful, unless you have access to a metabolic chamber and can manage to go about your normal day inside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You might want to plot it, but you can't accurately calculate calories burned closely enough for this information to be useful, unless you have access to a metabolic chamber and can manage to go about your normal day inside of it.
    I agree that a 7 day window is too narrow to get any information worth acting on. But 1200 calories is so darn low, especially for someone 5'8". There is *no* room for anything that doesn't maximize nutrition per calorie at that level. You can get away with it for a month or two probably, but beyond that it seems like a lot of work to avoid malnourishment.

To the OP, how do you feel? Good energy, good mood, not starving? How long have you been stuck? IME, a week to 10 days is nothing and often followed by a couple of days dropping 1 lb/day, especially at that level of body fat.

I'd also encourage you to eat more, at least a day or two a week. At 254, you've got a long haul ahead of you and preserving your sanity will be key. I don't want to suggest a specific calorie target, just throw out some numbers for illustration. The calorie/macro tracking app I use figures a woman my age (50) uses 12.35 calories per lb of body weight just going about her daily business. My only deliberate exercise is 1hr hot yoga once a week, but after a year of tracking, I can see 12.35 is a little too conservative for me. You exercise a lot more, so it's probably too conservative for you too. Disregarding that - shooting for the very lean weight of 140 for a 5'8" woman, you could eat 1729 cals every day and eventually end up at least in the normal weight range, if not all the way to 140. So don't freak out over a 1700 cal day here and there. Even if you were only shooting for 200lbs, that would be 2470 cals/day, so the occasional 2500 cal day wouldn't even be a real setback. Try not to think of this as a diet. Think of it as training to be comfortable eating 1700 cals/day. Eating real, whole foods just makes it *so* much easier.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Shop Now
    Everyone thank you for your comments and advice. I have decided for now to stick with approximately 1200 calories a day with a cheat day once a week. I have stopped getting on the scale as it was discouraging me tremendously. I find that I can feel and see weight loss without needing to weigh myself. On my fifth week of eating primal I felt a change. Energy level pretty good. Rarely feel hungry. Can go all day without eating and still feel fine. This is great!