Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Diabetes prevalence by country page

  1. #1
    Davidil's Avatar
    Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    196

    Diabetes prevalence by country

    Primal Fuel
    What do you make of this:

    http://www.allcountries.org/ranks/di...try_ranks.html

    Why do you think its so common in the middle east?

  2. #2
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    667
    look down at the bottom, Iceland... HUGE fat consumption in those parts...

    edit: Very bottom, MONGOLIA. Their diet is meat with a side of meat, garnished with meat!
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 06-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.

  3. #3
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,304
    I wonder how much genetics and smaller gene pools contribute to both ends of the spectrum. While countries like Mongolia might suggest diet, the UK is pretty close to the bottom and has a rather SAD-like diet, so there's no correlation there. Also, healthcare access is probably a factor as well. I think genetics, vegetable/seed oil consumption, and socioeconomic variables are probably the biggest influences in the equation.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Monglian diet for the win!

    Its all correlative obviously, but heres some pics to put to that list

    The great global food gap: Families around the world photographed with weekly shopping as they reveal cost ranges from £3.20 to £320 | Mail Online

    I'm seeing lots of sugar, cereal, and other processed crap in the pics with the worst of the countries.

    Lots of meat and whole food items in the pics of the best.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.

  5. #5
    Davidil's Avatar
    Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    196
    Maybe its the Baklava :-)

  6. #6
    Jennifla's Avatar
    Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    209
    Sorry I was too lazy to track down the original study, but there was this:

    Insulin differs between ethnicities, study finds | Science Codex

  7. #7
    Kegas76's Avatar
    Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Monglian diet for the win!

    Its all correlative obviously, but heres some pics to put to that list

    The great global food gap: Families around the world photographed with weekly shopping as they reveal cost ranges from £3.20 to £320 | Mail Online

    I'm seeing lots of sugar, cereal, and other processed crap in the pics with the worst of the countries.

    Lots of meat and whole food items in the pics of the best.
    Lol, the dad in the Luxembourg pics is holding a white chicken and the son is holding a small dog. Is the chicken a pet (like the dog) or is it a consumable?

    The Egypt layout looks pretty good, they seem to like the nightshades though.

  8. #8
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    Lol, the dad in the Luxembourg pics is holding a white chicken and the son is holding a small dog. Is the chicken a pet (like the dog) or is it a consumable?

    The Egypt layout looks pretty good, they seem to like the nightshades though.
    lol...."This ones name is Dinner"..... "We call this one Supper".

  9. #9
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    look down at the bottom, Iceland... HUGE fat consumption in those parts...
    Scandinavia is lots of bread and Iclandic people consume a lot of fish I guess...

  10. #10
    tresa's Avatar
    tresa is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    look down at the bottom, Iceland... HUGE fat consumption in those parts...

    edit: Very bottom, MONGOLIA. Their diet is meat with a side of meat, garnished with meat!
    YAK MILK IS THE ANSWER

    *giggles*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •