Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes prevalence by country page 2

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Buy my new book! "The Mongolian Diet - Why Mr. Prosser had flashbacks of Ghengis Khan and what he ate to fix it." Out next week in whatever media form people seem to enjoy these days.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Monglian diet for the win!

Its all correlative obviously, but heres some pics to put to that list

The great global food gap: Families around the world photographed with weekly shopping as they reveal cost ranges from £3.20 to £320 | Mail Online

I'm seeing lots of sugar, cereal, and other processed crap in the pics with the worst of the countries.

Lots of meat and whole food items in the pics of the best.
    It's interesting, though... I'm not seeing a strong correlation between the families' weights and their macro-nutritional composition. Plenty of fat people eating lots of meat... plenty of skinny people eating lots of grains. Maybe it has something to do with genetics.

Edit: I know someone's going to say, "obviously the families from African villages are eating meager portions" but consider, for example, the Italian family. Last time I was in Italy, portions were anything but meager.
    Last edited by PrimalStudent; 06-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    And activity.

To go with the genetic variation article posted earlier... here is a NYT article about urban diabetes in Vietnam. The theory is that rural people who become urban and change their activity level develop diabetes without any other changes, for example, they are developing diabetes without becoming overweight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/wo...anted=all&_r=0
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Scandinavia is lots of bread and Iclandic people consume a lot of fish I guess...
    Scandinavian is lots of fish and meat too
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    It's interesting, though... I'm not seeing a strong correlation between the families' weights and their macro-nutritional composition. Plenty of fat people eating lots of meat... plenty of skinny people eating lots of grains. Maybe it has something to do with genetics.

Edit: I know someone's going to say, "obviously the families from African villages are eating meager portions" but consider, for example, the Italian family. Last time I was in Italy, portions were anything but meager.
    You have a point. Have you seen Attia's TED talk on the forum? Much of his hypothesis (metabolic syndrome and insulin is an underlying disorder with or without obesisty) is based on the observation that there are overweight people with perfect insulin and glucose markers and that there are skinny people that are type II diabetic. So while gaining weight may be largely about caloric load the prevalence of insulin resistance may not be (not solely anyhow). So its back to TYPES of calories that matter.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    look down at the bottom, Iceland... HUGE fat consumption in those parts...
    Scandinavia is lots of bread and Iclandic people consume a lot of fish I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Scandinavian is lots of fish and meat too
    Maybe, but I am not sure wether there is a HUGE fat consumtion in Icland or in the rest of Scandinavia though? Those countries are known to eat lots of bread/carbs and relative little fatty food, but maybe I am wrong here...

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Italy is something I don't understand. They live on pasta and pizza and bread. They eat it for supper every night.

Pasta is made from a "better" type of wheat, but still. (Can't remember how its called)

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Maybe, but I am not sure wether there is a HUGE fat consumtion in Icland or in the rest of Scandinavia though? Those countries are known to eat lots of bread/carbs and relative little fatty food, but maybe I am wrong here...
    the Norwegians I lived with for 6 months didn't eat a vast amount of bread, breakfast for example was always meats, eggs and rye bread, dinner was fish including cod, salmon and herrings, seafood including whale or seal or meat including beef, deer,reindeer with vegetables and sometimes bread, very rarely pasta or rice but they did like their puddings; fruit dumplings frequently. Sweden was similar and Finland was a lot of meat and fish.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Untypical Norwegians you have meet then! When I stayed in Scandinavia it was bread for breakfast, bread for lunch, a warm meal for dinner and even a last bread meal at night! In England it was warm meaty food for the three first meals and bread and soup for the last! Yes, I can tell for sure that the Scandinavian people are bread eaters more than anywhere else I have been. And I also stayed for some time in Iceland and no much difference from the other Nordic countries…

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    lol gorbag

I'm pretty sure if CarbDodger having lived in a place for 6 months has got a fair perception of the culture. Only you could argue that someones first hand experience must be atypical.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast