Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do certain carbs cause depression? page 2

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    No really, you're angry because of the carb induced guilt. If you're stepping back into that lower carb zone the depression feeling might return. Keep the same carb count but keep the starches like potatoes and SOME fruit and see how you feel.
    I'm not really trying to go VLC, I don't tolerate it well. I needz my carbs too! But they're not all equal, as in a carb is not just a carb.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No but high fiber diets can because they increase serotonin in the gut.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Certain foods can definitely effect mood but are you prone to depression normally?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Even before I went Primal, I ate carbs in the morning, and I still do......mostly fruit.....but I have never had any issues with carbs bringing me down mentally if I ate them in the morning.....these days, I often have only fat, and some protein (eggs) in the morning, but I don't notice any difference if I have fruit.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Certain foods can definitely effect mood but are you prone to depression normally?
    Yes, I think so. I've been using the paleo diet to manage certain aspects of my depression for some time now, with good results. Paleo and yoga.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    Yes, I think so. I've been using the paleo diet to manage certain aspects of my depression for some time now, with good results. Paleo and yoga.
    I think if it's something that has been an issue for quite a while, and diet has helped you manage it, but not get rid of it, then I would suspect that your mood isn't diet-related. Have you ever had your hormones checked? I've suffered from depression for a long time, and recently found out I have a severe hormonal imbalance, which was leading to pretty dramatic mood swings. Hope you're not feeling too bad!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12