Thread: Minimalist shoe over use injury? OUCH page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Minimalist shoe over use injury? OUCH

Primal Fuel
    Hey, all.

I have owned 5Fingers and several pair of Merrell minimalist shoes for a few years now. I usually wear them for exercise only, but recently started working a 6 hour standing job and decided it would be great to wear the Merrell (pace glove, etc) for the shifts. I would also wear them for about an hour on an elliptical maybe 4 days/week (which I had been doing for months without issue).

About a week ago I had a HUGE toe cramp while wearing the shoes. The next day the area at the base of my 2nd/3rd toes was sore. I went to the gym and did OK. The next day, it was very sore and swollen and even slightly bruised to the point where it hurt to walk unless I wore hard soled shoes like Dansko clogs.

I don't believe it is broken because I can manipulate and bend and even lightly press without any discomfort. Maybe a stress fracture, but I'm leaning more toward tendon problem from overuse of the shoes too fast. I have stayed away from the shoes and the gym for a week and it feels better but is still swollen.

Question: anyone know if a toe cramp can lead to a stress fracture? It was a super bad one that shot my toe upright. Wondering how long people recommend I stay off the elliptical, walking or jogging? Until the pain is gone, I assume. Rats.

I had a problem on the top of my foot in the past when I first started wearing 5 fingers. I'm hoping this will just go away on its own but I'm sick of being sedentary. I might toss on my cycling shoes and ride if the rain stops!

Not technically a primal question, but i know many of you wear these shoes so I thought I'd ask. I've been icing it and taking Alleve (which I hate to do).

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Question: anyone know if a toe cramp can lead to a stress fracture? It was a super bad one that shot my toe upright. Wondering how long people recommend I stay off the elliptical, walking or jogging? Until the pain is gone, I assume. Rats.
    A cramp leading to a fracture? What?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    A cramp leading to a fracture? What?

Well, the toe cramp was the catalyst to all of the pain. Prior to the gigantic cramp, I was feeling no pain and noticed no swelling or bruising. It was just... well, weird.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by ravinderasharma View Post
    Beauty Works Online is the UK's biggest supplier of wigs, hair accessories and hair extensions. Browse through our extensive product range, choose by length, colour or style

I don't think that will help me, but thanks.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

nburgraff is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A cramp is a reaction in the muscle so that wouldn't cause a stress fracture. And also, if you can manipulate it then it probably isn't a stress fracture. Switching to minimal shoes all day long will put extra stress on the muscles of the lower leg. If these got fatigued then a lot of the stress would be put upon your foot, which may have just cause a stress reaction or something along those lines. If i were you i would really foam roll and stretch your calves, and tibialis anterior. And keep icing your foot as that will really help the inflammation. Then when it goes away really make sure that you keep your toes somewhat spread apart in the minimal shoes as that makes a world of difference to get your foot in a natural position.

And phenocane is an amazing natural pain killer and anti-inflammatory if you hate taking aleve. It has a lot of curcumin, phenylalanine, natokinase, and Boswellia. The stuff works wonders.

Hopefully it gets better soon!