Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Cholesterol strikes! page 2

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I have been Primal for 13 months. Here is the lipid panel I had a couple weeks ago, compared to the one from Nov 2009:

Cholesterol Nov 2009 249 June 2013 221 (-28)
    HDL Nov 2009 62 June 2013 85 (+23)
    Triglycerides Nov 2009 118 June 2013 48 (-70)
    LDL Nov 2009 163 June 2013 129 (-34)

I was surprised that the improvements were as good as they were. I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism, which tends to cause higher cholesterol. My cholesterol had been in the 240 range for ten years or so. Doc has been suggesting statins for years but I have resisted. I have gone from 192 to about 170 pounds since going primal, mostly by walking/hiking, but with Mark's essential movements added in. I don't eat dairy except for heavy whipping cream. I have an unfounded suspicion that eliminating the dairy is largely responsible for the improvements in my numbers.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Stephen, please consider not taking statins. I highly recommend watching this movie:

The Great Cholesterol Cover-Up: STATIN NATION (Full Movie) - ...

You can also check out Griff's Cholesterol Primer:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

More good info here:

Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

Here are my lipid numbers:

2013 (Primal)
    Total: 269
    Tri: 25
    HDL: 88
    LDL: 156
    Chol/HDL ratio: 3.1

2012 (SAD)
    Total: 228
    Tri: 46
    HDL: 77
    LDL: 148
    Chol/HDL ratio: 3.0

When I first saw the numbers, I freaked a little. I think I was still thinking about CW regarding cholesterol/lipids. But using the Iranian equation, and the information found at Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack, it makes a lot of sense.

HDL/total cholesterol ratio: Mine is 0.33

0.24 or higher is considered ideal

under 0.24 - low

less than 0.10 - very dangerous

Triglyceride/HDL ratio: Mine is 0.28

2 or less is considered ideal

4 - high

6 - much too high
    Last edited by Huarache Gal; 06-27-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Per your list:

1. Stick with it longer. Think about it. 8 months is nothing compared to how long you ate whatever you did.
    2. Just no. Don't.
    3. Start exercising. The PB fitness plan would be fine to start.
    4. Pfft. No. Diet, exercise, and lifestyle are your ONLY real choice.

Dont ask your doctor anything.... tell him your gonna do this, then just do it.

Oh, and don't follow WTF paleo (lol, I'm gonna rename this "forum primal"). Follow the carb curve ideas. It'll help get those trigs down.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenUSA View Post
    The prescription was the first treatment option.
    Well, there's your problem!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    If you've been loosing weight your Cholesterol is expected to be high. Wait 2 months after you've completed your weight loss and when you have been exercising regularly. Then you will get more accurate test results.

NEVER EVER TAKE STATINS, or any other cholesterol drugs.

Be strict paleo while you are loosing weight.

Also you should probably restrict salt. So add seaweed or iodine to replace that you would have had in the salt.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

janie is offline Senior Member
    Hi Stephen-
    I was told by a very knowledgeable nutritionist (who is very familiar with a low carb approach to weight loss), that when a person starts melting off pounds, their total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol values frequently go up. This is b/c the cholesterol that was part of the fat being taken "out of storage" now finds its way into the bloodstream b/f being removed by normal body processes. She recommends waiting 6 months to get a clearer picture of blood lipids.

I think if you follow the advice you've gotten here to toe the line on Primal, you will likely see great improvement. Sometimes TC and LDL do not budge ---- but reduction in triglycerides and a rise in HDL which is typical for those following a Primal plan, will improve your ratios considerably.

And I'd get another BP reading as yours was troubling high. It could have been a fluke. Mine is usually 120/80 (usually lower) but in one docs office it is always high. I think he has an equipment (or staff) problem.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Check your thyroid.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenUSA View Post
    The prescription was the first treatment option.

I have been working on losing weight. On Primal, I've gone from 220 to about 174. I'm not sure if weight loss can affect my blood test, but I've read it can have some impact.
    You are getting lots of good advice on here, pretty much all of it is right.

About the only thing I will add is what you can to to make your numbers better (without taking a statin).

What's really important is your cholesterol ratios, and the ones that matter are these:
    TotalChol/HDL (ideally < 5)
    Trigs/HDL (ideally < 2)
    LDL/HDL (ideally <4.5)

Now I'm not going to sugarcoat it, your cholesterol is bad. But you know what will make ALL of your ratios better? HDL is the denominator in all three, so when it goes up, all three ratios will decrease. And you increase HDL by increasing your consumption of quality animal fats.

You can also make your Trigs go down by lowering carbs slightly.

And you can improve thyroid function (which will indirectly lower your LDL levels by increasing the number of LDL receptors in your body) by supplementing with Iodine and Selenium.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-27-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Hi Stephen-
    I was told by a very knowledgeable nutritionist (who is very familiar with a low carb approach to weight loss), that when a person starts melting off pounds, their total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol values frequently go up. This is b/c the cholesterol that was part of the fat being taken "out of storage" now finds its way into the bloodstream b/f being removed by normal body processes. She recommends waiting 6 months to get a clearer picture of blood lipids.
    This seems to be pretty common advice, though I'm not entirely confident of the explanation behind it.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    Your B/P is borderline high also. You don't have to ask your Doctor to wait 6 months, it's your body do as you want. Like you said, you need more info. The VAP profile is a good suggestion. Commit to the primal/paleo lifestyle. I call it a lifestyle because a "Diet" is temporary. Also commit to an exercise regimen. Starting Strength, Westside Barbell, You are your own gym, and Convict Conditioning are all good. There is a good program on this site also. After 6 months to a year, have yourself tested again.
    I don't know what your age and risk factors are, so take those into consideration before following mine or anyone elses advice. Ultimately you know your own condition best.
    FBG was 80, BP 180/78.

Normal BP is 120/80.....that isn't 'borderline high', that systolic is a stroke waiting to happen....is that a typo?
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast