Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 mnths of Primal. down 20lbs, but confused with blood results page

lybertrian is offline Junior Member

4 mnths of Primal. down 20lbs, but confused with blood results

Primal Fuel
    First post!

I figured this was the best place to post this. I just got my lipid profile done after 4 months of Primal and I honestly don't know what to think. Everything is high.

I am wondering if it's because I am still losing weight? I was fasted for around 11hrs, so food shouldn't have affected it, correct?

Here's the blood test result: Lipid Profile - Imgur

Thanks

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Losing weight releases fat from your fat cells into your bloodstream. Being fasted could theoretically have made it worse, if the effect was immediate.

If you are still losing weight, that's why. Try again a couple of months after your weight has stabilized.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Losing weight releases fat from your fat cells into your bloodstream. Being fasted could theoretically have made it worse, if the effect was immediate.

If you are still losing weight, that's why. Try again a couple of months after your weight has stabilized.
    Thank you. I am set to get another in 1-2 months.

I thought about the fasting aspect as well...wouldn't my body be in fat torching mode at that point, thus fat cells flowing like crazy? Maybe more so since I've been doing intermittent fasting for awhile?

When I get my tests done again in 1-2 months should I go fasted again?

Thanks

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I really don't know. I have read that cholesterol is highly variable based on time of day, recent meals, etc. I have also read that you wait until after your weight have stabilized to judge improvement.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-27-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I really don't know. I have read that cholesterol is highly variable based on time of day, recent meals, etc. I have also read that you wait until after your weight have stabilized to judge improvement.
    Mark did write about how if you are still losing weight it can definitely affect the numbers.

It's just weird, I mean if I never got bloodwork done I'd not have the slightest concern. I am getting leaner and stronger, but then I get these results.

BTW, here are my only other results prior to yesterdays: imgur: the simple image sharer This was last year and I was just eating whatever and 15lbs heavier.

Does anyone else monitor their bloodwork while on Primal?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't, but I do know that actively losing weight messes with the markers.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I posted this another thread earlier today:

I have been Primal for 13 months. Here is the lipid panel I had a couple weeks ago, compared to the one from Nov 2009:

Cholesterol Nov 2009 249 June 2013 221 (-28)
    HDL Nov 2009 62 June 2013 85 (+23)
    Triglycerides Nov 2009 118 June 2013 48 (-70)
    LDL Nov 2009 163 June 2013 129 (-34)

I was surprised that the improvements were as good as they were. I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism, which tends to cause higher cholesterol. My cholesterol had been in the 240 range for ten years or so. Doc has been suggesting statins for years but I have resisted. I have gone from 192 to about 170 pounds since going primal, mostly by walking/hiking, but with Mark's essential movements added in. I don't eat dairy except for heavy whipping cream. I have an unfounded suspicion that eliminating the dairy is largely responsible for the improvements in my numbers.

I remember Dr. Atkins saying that cholesterol increased for his dieters in the early months. That is one reason why I waited a year to get tested. If my lipid panel had gotten worse instead of better, I still wouldn't stop what I'm doing with PB. There have been too many improvements in areas I can actually see and feel.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am a doctor, and what jumps off the page to me in your blood work was the INCREASE in triglycerides. Most of those other values are not worrisome to me, especially with how strong your LDL/HDL ratio is.

Jennifla has a much more common pattern of change when primal is undertaken. In many cases, BOTH LDL and HDL go up, but the ratio improves, and triglycerides go down. That is the common denominator to most positive changes in diet. Triglycerides are usually considered to coincide directly with carbohydrate consumption. A lot of emerging research has implicated that reading more so than the traditional total cholesterol number.

How strict are you on primal? Do you drink alcohol? (This is notorious for sending tri through the roof). I have yet to see a primal-diet patient with tris in that range....

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I am a doctor, and what jumps off the page to me in your blood work was the INCREASE in triglycerides. Most of those other values are not worrisome to me, especially with how strong your LDL/HDL ratio is.

Jennifla has a much more common pattern of change when primal is undertaken. In many cases, BOTH LDL and HDL go up, but the ratio improves, and triglycerides go down. That is the common denominator to most positive changes in diet. Triglycerides are usually considered to coincide directly with carbohydrate consumption. A lot of emerging research has implicated that reading more so than the traditional total cholesterol number.

How strict are you on primal? Do you drink alcohol? (This is notorious for sending tri through the roof). I have yet to see a primal-diet patient with tris in that range....
    Thank you for this reply. From my brief research, it was my Tri number that seemed alarming. I thought maybe, since Mark wrote about it, that it's because I am burning a lot of fat and was tested in a fasted state.

I like to think that I stick to primal 90/10 --- I think I am very strict BUT when it comes to alcohol, I have either red wine, tequila or hard cider and to be honest...a lot of hard ciders throughout the week --- could this be the culprit? I avoid grain based alcohol.

EDIT: What do you consider a good LDL/HDL ratio?

EDIT 2: Just to elaborate a bit more on diet. I eat organic chicken, wild caught fish, and grass fed beef as well as organic fruits and veggies when possible. I never have grains or legumes. Other than cream in coffe I sometimes have gouda...which I actually had the night before my blood test. This is why I was so confused and I don't think my current doctor is going to help diagnose as he quote "would like me to get another blood test in 1 - 2 months when I am done with this diet because my cholesterol went way up". He believes my paleolithic style eating is just a diet/fad and made no mention of my Tri number.

EDIT 3: Just adding also that my Dr is assuming this is from eating meat although my meat consumption isn't that different from when I wasn't doing Primal. If anything I am eating healthier grass fed meat. The biggest difference is the removal of grains and I guess the switch from regular beer to cider.

Thanks again
    Last edited by lybertrian; 06-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast