Thread: Slow-Cooking page

hfox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I finally bought one and cooked a nice slab of pork ribs as my introductory dish..they didn't turn out so great. I cooked them for ~4hrs. over a bed of onions, carrots, and celery and filled the pot up with over 42oz of chicken broth. The final product was a solid 4/10 on the yummy scale, and immediately upon biting into them, I wished I had cooked them in the oven and that I had not used chicken broth which gave everything a kind of stale, blah taste.

What went wrong? What tips do you guys have to maximize one's enjoyment of this type of cooking? Are there any delicious slow-cooker recipes floating around on these discussion boards?

Thanks for the input :-)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I made pulled pork (pork shoulder) with low carb bbq sauce (~15 carbs in the entire bottle) in my crockpot yesterday and it was great. Cooked it on low for 8 hours.

I think the chicken broth and cooked too fast was the problem.

Wilchar is offline Junior Member

For ribs, I throw them in my slowcooker and cover them with boiling water. I then cook them on low for about 4 hours or high for about 2. I them take them out and BBQ them. The meat just falls off!

Don't keep them in the slow cooker for too long though or they will fall to pieces as you take them out.

62shelby Guest

I love my slow cooker, and often do turkey legs in it, I dont put anything in except some olive oil and some balsamic maybe, as if too much liquid goes in, youre right it can taste 'boiled'. whole chickens, game hens, turkey breasts on the bone, chicken pieces, all work in the slow cooker. made a great beef and tomato stew in it a few months back too.

i just cooked a batch of turkey legs last night, had one for lunch and with the juices left over will use that as 'stock' for a veggie soup.

grandma is offline Member

hfox. I have the same experience. I find that soups and stews are great in the crock pot, but "meaty" dishes need special treatment.

42oz of anything is a lot in the crockpot, the liquid stays in the crock pot, very little evaporates so I imagine you ended up with boiled ribs. To me pork never tastes good boiled.

I tend to stick with chili. I have had some success with pot roast, but I can't begin to tell you how I did it. Most of the time I'm not happy with it.

Once I made a great chicken dish to take to a party. I was great but I've not been able to reproduce it (story of my cooking life). It went something like this. Saute some thin sliced chicken breast, add to the crock pot with tomato, green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Leave it in the pot for a couple hours to marry the flavors. It was good, everyone who had it enjoyed it. But I've never been able to repeat it as good as it was the first time.

Looking at the web and cook books is hard most crockpot recipes seem to have condensed soup in it. yuck

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

grandma is offline Member

Maybe others can comment on what I consider to be the "problem" with crock pots. For me the yumminess of slow cooked meals is that fact that the flavors condense and marry. In my cockpot, the top seals very tight, so no evaporation takes place. I have often though if I propped the lid open a little it would be better. But, the main reason I use the crock pot is for the all day unattended cooking joy. I fear that it all the water boils off I will be left with burnt food and a house full of smoke.

Any thoughts on this?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

The best I've made is a recipe called "ropa vieja," flank steak with mexican spices, bell peppers, and onions. SO GOOD! You slice up the bell peppers (I used yellow and red) and onions, put the flank steak on top of the peppers (cut it in half across the grain so you don't get too long of strands), and then put as much spice as you'd like including garlic (I like fresh)/black and red pepper/cumin/salt, then pour a can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz I think) on top liquid and all. The tomato juice is the only liquid that goes in, and it's plenty. After 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low the meat will shred almost automatically, and you have what was once an amazing fajita filling, but is now just a really delicious meat dish

"Salsa chicken" as I call it is also wonderful, just pour a jar of salsa on the bottom (get a good one with no preservatives, or make it yourself!), add any extra spices you'd like, then place the chicken breast/pieces/whatever on top and cook on high 4 hours (or low 6-8). This will shred too, and mix up with the salsa. Yum.

I remember my first try with a crock pot was corned beef, and I also filled it to the top with water and ended up with a big rubbery piece of beef. Not so yummy. Too much liquid will ruin any meat in the crock pot!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan