Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skydiving and adrenal fatigue page

Jst
    Jst is offline Junior Member

Skydiving and adrenal fatigue

Shop Now
    Hi!

I have the opportunity to go skydiving and I'm naturally terrified but still want to go. Last year I did bungee jump and it was awesome but I felt very tired afterwards, if I remember correctly I slept for 2 hours when I got home. My friends were fine. I think I might have "adrenal fatigue" since I'm usually tired in the afternoon to the point I almost always take a <= 20 min. nap. I also have many other symptoms that are usually associated with this not officially recognized diagnosis. What are your opinions on this? Should I take the leap of faith or not?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Do you have access to get your cortisol and hormone levels tested? It would be a good idea to know if you actually do have adrenal fatigue before treating yourself for it, otherwise you could potentially do some damage.

I would do it I'd be more willing to go skydiving than bungee jumping.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am no sky diver, but I recently read a serious article that explains that it is common for folks to be exhausted after a dive, just from the hormone dump associated with the jump. The diving instructor is even quoted as saying that some guys land yawning loudly.

What that says about an individual's health as it relates to hormone levels, I cannot say. Just wanted you to know that what you experienced seems to be decently commonplace.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Do you have access to get your cortisol and hormone levels tested? It would be a good idea to know if you actually do have adrenal fatigue before treating yourself for it, otherwise you could potentially do some damage.

I would do it I'd be more willing to go skydiving than bungee jumping.

Years ago I got tested and apparently have elevated cortisol levels and lack of vitamin D. They suggested visiting a shrink because it's supposed to be related to depression. I didn't bother to go back and explain them they might be mixing the cause and the consequence. Instead I went paleo soon afterwards and I try to get more soon exposure. The difference in my mood and energy levels isn't exactly dramatic but it is noticable I think. I just gotta find out some more pleasurable way of making money instead of sitting in the (sometimes home) office.

Anyway, what kind of treatment and damage are you talking about? I'm not doing anything specifically. I can somehow manage my life and of course try to make it better and healthier. I pretty fit, it's just this tiredness that's bothering me and preventing me to really enjoy it and make all the things I want to make.
    Last edited by Jst; 06-27-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: edited to include quote.

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I am no sky diver, but I recently read a serious article that explains that it is common for folks to be exhausted after a dive, just from the hormone dump associated with the jump. The diving instructor is even quoted as saying that some guys land yawning loudly.

What that says about an individual's health as it relates to hormone levels, I cannot say. Just wanted you to know that what you experienced seems to be decently commonplace.
    Interesting. Maybe I'm just chickenshitting myself and looking for an excuse

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Supplementing Vitamin D might help all around. I don't think my energy levels have improved since getting my Vitamin D levels up, but I do notice a difference in mood. I no longer feel down on rainy days or when I spend more time indoors.

I guess I have read a lot about people who think they have adrenal fatigue (but probably don't), start supplementing, and then the stress of trying to figure it out actually stresses their adrenals. I don't know a lot about what raises cortisol levels though. For me, my cortisol tested as a bit low in morning and a bit high in evening. Getting on a regular sleep schedule helped a lot, but it took a few months for me to adjust. I had to enforce regular bedtimes and getting out of bed at the same time every day, including weekends. The best "treatment protocol" I've read about for low cortisol suggested allowing for 10 hrs of sleep every night. Not sure how/if that applies to high cortisol though.

Maybe someone else can chime in. I seem to remember a really great site with information about adrenal fatigue and now I can't find it. It had resources for getting your own kits outside of a doctor's office and how some tests (at doctor's offices) are really inaccurate.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    It will be less exciting than bungie jumping. No sense of acceleration, unfortunately.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Zach is offline Banned
    Eat some sugar before and after.

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Supplementing Vitamin D might help all around. I don't think my energy levels have improved since getting my Vitamin D levels up, but I do notice a difference in mood. I no longer feel down on rainy days or when I spend more time indoors.

I guess I have read a lot about people who think they have adrenal fatigue (but probably don't), start supplementing, and then the stress of trying to figure it out actually stresses their adrenals. I don't know a lot about what raises cortisol levels though. For me, my cortisol tested as a bit low in morning and a bit high in evening. Getting on a regular sleep schedule helped a lot, but it took a few months for me to adjust. I had to enforce regular bedtimes and getting out of bed at the same time every day, including weekends. The best "treatment protocol" I've read about for low cortisol suggested allowing for 10 hrs of sleep every night. Not sure how/if that applies to high cortisol though.

Maybe someone else can chime in. I seem to remember a really great site with information about adrenal fatigue and now I can't find it. It had resources for getting your own kits outside of a doctor's office and how some tests (at doctor's offices) are really inaccurate.
    Cool, thanks. I think I don't need to really supplement right now, since it's summer here and I will try to spend even more time in the sun and sea and so on, woo hoo!!

Jst
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    It will be less exciting than bungie jumping. No sense of acceleration, unfortunately.
    For some reason I'm more afraid of skydiving, at least bungee isn't so high and also you have a rope . But I can imagine that once the parachute opens it's not so thrilling anymore. I did do the thing with a boat where they pull you up with the parachute and yeah, it can be quite boring after a few minutes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast